Removing UV map island?

Greetings.

Blender 2.45 on 32 bit Kubuntu 7.10 Linux

If you have a UV texture map with several islands, how do you remove one island without disturbing the other islands?
The removed island must be removed in such a way as if it had never been created.

No amount of manual reading, forum or Google searching has found me an answer.

Does anyone know?

Best regards :slight_smile:

Johnny :slight_smile:

you can select one of the UVs, then Select Linked, which will then grab all the UVs for that island. Then you can move them off-image or out of bounds.

Papa, when I do what it is you’re telling the OP to do, all that happens is the image gets tiled across my model on any part of the map that isn’t in that grid. Or maybe its because i take the whole map off the grid at times. But yeah, whichever the case, if what you’re saying is right then there is something I’m doing wrong…what is it?

you can select one of the UVs, then Select Linked, which will then grab all the UVs for that island. Then you can move them off-image or out of bounds.
Moving the island outside the image area does not remove the island (as in “delete”).
It is still there.

How do you make the island cease to exist?

I don’t think you can have faces on a mesh that are not represented in a uvmap. If you don’t want to use UV for them you could just make those faces a different material for which UV is irrelevant, and also move them of your map and/or scale them down to a single point just to make it less confusing in the editor.

Ah, I see I lacked knowledge of a basic principle in UV mapping.

So now I understand PapaSmurf’s answer.

Thank you all.