Render a week

You know how light just can’t get into tight spaces like cracks? It does that.

OK, it seems this thread is dead, but not my blending attempts…

I found this tutorial by Oliver Villar (i don’t know his blenderartist profile nick) and did some tweaks to my ship. So many thanks to you, if yo’re reading this! XD

I may do an animation some day later.
Sincerly Rhino

Looking good, RhinoFlip! Oliver has some great tutorials on his channel.
I have not tried this technique myself, but it looks like you’re fairly comfortable with it by now. Great work!

Great modelling! I like following this threads progress!!! You´re ship is on the way to amaze me. I´m just thinking of it as a part of a much bigger ship in all. I would love to see an array of these with a big engine inside and a lot antennas on the front. Like a huge cargo whatever… Really nice work with the corvette…

Thank you James for drop by! It is honour to see you again. Maybe this is not final at all. When you look at Oliver’s tutorial, the ship reflects the background. Not in my case… as I’m using cycles but Oliver internal. That’s something i have to figure out, but haven’t yet seen on Andrew’s tuts (yeah, i’m a big mr. Price’s fan XD)

Thank you. You surely will be amazed much much more when you go to threas of Michalis which is mentioned above, there’s a link too. Don’t hesitate here and take a look!

Sincerly Rhino.

You´re so right. Just passed by few hours ago and was blown away. That guys just awesome. Can´t find the right word.
The modeling sketches in his sketchbook/ holy shit…

O.k. I just finished a tutorial tha is worth of its Price… :smiley:

Feel free to comment and other.

Blend On!
Sincerly Rhino

Guys. I’m hopless. I’m in lack of inspiration or sort of… Anytime i start some original project i end up without finishing it due to less knolwedge of things i want to do. Please help me somebody or this thread will be an gallery of Andrew price’s tutorials.

-Rhino-

4k image to download

forever yours

I’m sure just about all of us have experienced the same feeling when we’re learning a new creative skill. I certainly have!

If I were to give any advice, it would be to start with very simple projects. Maybe you’re just making a single object, or learning how to setup a physics simulation, or even just making a type of material. 3D is one of those strange realms where dozens of different jobs (modeler, animator, lighter, texture artist, shading artist, compositor, etc) all use the same program, and as such it can be daunting even trying to decide where to begin if you’re a generalist.

My best suggestion is to just find something that you have fun doing. It can be as simple as playing with metaballs and making blobby shapes with them. I think the way they merge into each other is just pure joy! Anyway, back to my point: work on fun projects, even if they don’t really form cohesive stories or ideas or scenes. Even if you don’t even render them and just post screenshots. You’ll still be having fun with Blender, learning a new piece of the program, and gradually you’ll begin to build up your skills.

Even a simple idea takes time to execute. The videos on my channel are an example of that. I’m a 3d generalist, and have been using Blender since… 2.43 I believe. But I’m still a newb at many aspects of it, and there are always new features coming out, too. When I have a simple idea for a video (like the rigid body ones), I already know how to do all the skills required. But it still takes a lot of work to get it done. And when I have an idea, but I know I’ll have to learn a new skill or two to complete the video, it feels like it takes 5 times as work. Maybe that’s just me, though.

I feel like I’m rambling a bit here, but that’s my best advice. Try not to get discouraged, learning new skills is hard work. Not many of us are just naturally Mozarts at it. And find simple works that bring you joy, and your abilities (and new ideas!) will increase!

Nice work!
Did you really render it for a week?

For example, last render is renderd in BI and it didn’t take more than 10 minutes. No, I just want to post one render a week but it seems I’m kindda slow… So it problably is rather render a Month…

I’m having in mind that Blender and overall 3d rendering is very complex. Mastering blender means mastering all the abiliteis at once. What you want to say is that i should temporaly focus at one aspect, rigt?

You’re defenitely not rambling over here… You’re simply right. And I must admitt that I’m trying to aviod my responsibility in that cause. Because the only thing that can push me further is only my effort and diligence.

Thank you James

-RnO-

Thank you for the friend request, RnO!

I’m glad my suggestions may have been helpful! I remember when I first started using Blender, all I did was apply different materials to the default cube, and try out different sunlight settings. At the time, I was using Indigo Renderer to render (not Blender Internal) because it was easier to make my images look real. So I had dozens of real looking images of cubes. And I enjoyed it.

Eventually, I became interested in applying materials to other objects, and applying modifiers, and created new objects, and environments, and so on and so forth. Certainly, there’s no need to learn and master every feature of Blender. I would rather gauge my eyes out with corn holders than learn how to script in Python. But that’s just me.

You can still be a Blender Master without knowing how to do everything possible in Blender. Just give it time, find out what you do enjoy doing in Blender, and then become a master at that!

And I have another suggestion! If you’re having trouble getting inspired, take a look on some non-Blender forums. I find this helps me. Some good ones are the evermotion, cgsociety, and Indigo Renderer forums.

The “Simple Renderings” thread is one I check out from time to time - http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2951&sid=2f441a368dd34293081e3e6a71e95e2a

an volumetric light experiment, i also generated specular and normal maps for materials which are, what a shame, invisible at this kind of scene… but i learned a lot on how to generate them. An it was fast, fun and easy…

imprisonment (-RnO-)