Render Every Other Frame?

Is there an automatic way of rendering every other frame to get a stroboscopic, jittery effect? (So frame 1 would be both frames 1 and 2, then frame 3 would be both frames 3 and 4, etc.)

The reason I’m thinking of this is because I see that an intentionally jittery, stroboscopic look achieved by only animating every other frame is very popular in many cartoon-y videos, and I’d like to have the option. However, achieving this manually would obviously be a pain in the butt.

Thanks as always.

Strobe button in strip properties. In animation this is called animating on twoes if you only do half the frames.

Got a solution:

Use the VSE.

Go the VSE >
Import the Scene >
Add a Speed Effect Strip >
double the length of the strip and make sure “Stretch to Input Length” is enabled (it is by default)

And render. Each frame will be repeated and properly numbered in the output. Of course, this could also be achieved in the VSE by importing an Image Sequence Strip rather than a Scene Strip (which might actually be quick if the Scene Strip causes the 3D data to be re-rendered each frame).

Where is this “Strobe button”, 3PE?

Strip properties -->Filter–>Strobe value

Speed effect will also double the length of the clip, while strobe just skips every nth frame.

Good call. Never noticed this before!

Why haven’t you seen my HDR process for the VSE tutorial? It maximises this feature :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, I can’t keep up with all of your VSE tutorials!

Hmmm, I’m running out of features, to hack :frowning:

That’s a good thing: It means that you’ve completed so much already that you’re about finished. Truly, your VSE tutorials could be compiled together into a complete editing education for Blender.

But still, I’ll think about things that might pique your interest for tutorials.