Render fails on Mac

Hi there

I’ve got some issues using cycles on Apple Silicon. When I’m rendering on GPU, I often get an error. I already checked memory usage, which is fine using 10GB of 64GB available.

It always throws the same error:

Error: Command buffer not completed. status = 5. (PSO_GENERIC.integrator_intersect_closest):

Error Domain=MTLCommandBufferErrorDomain Code=1 “Internal Error (0000000e:Internal Error)” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Internal Error (0000000e:Internal Error), NSUnderlyingError=0x6000c42584b0 {Error Domain=IOGPUCommandQueueErrorDomain Code=14 “(null)”}}

Any Idea if there is a solution or if this is a known bug would be greatly appreciated, since rendering on CPU is quite slow…

kind regards patahel

Is the GPU vram capacity of your system 64gb? :thinking:

GPU renders use vram, and if it’s not enough, use system ram.
In this case, errors may occur.

Try using the CPU to see if the symptoms are the same…

※ If the lack of VRAM is correct, there is no solution other than to optimize the scene.

Simply optimize and test with Simplify.

Since it is a Mac using Apple Silicon, the CPU and GPU SoC are sharing memory, both have 64GB of memory in total (Also the controller is actively swapping if the memory used is greater)
But as already stated, the current render isn’t exceeding 10GB of total RAM used (GPU and CPU) and failing to even start beyond BVH Tree build.

If I render it on CPU only, there Is also no more than 8GB of RAM used.

The same issue I observe in by far easier scenes…
Sometimes even viewport render is failing to load with default cube

I’m not a mac user, so it’s hard to give you a better answer.
Try a different version of the blender.

※ Please also indicate the MAC model and specifications you are using.
For those who have experienced this problem or know how to solve it :slightly_smiling_face:

Error occurs on Blender 3.6, 4.0, 4.1, varieties of scenes.

Mac Model: MacBook Pro 16" Late 2021, M1 Max, 32 Core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD, macOS Ventura

There are two types of information I can check. :thinking:
We didn’t find anything similar to the related issue.

Please refer to the link.
I don’t know if there’s any helpful information. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did a dig on the limit of triangles for rendering, and found someone who had performance issues using geo nodes, giving him a huge performance hit unless he‘d realize the geometry, going to test that out asap…

https://blenderartists.org/t/how-many-tris-can-you-have-in-a-blender-scene-before-it-crashes/1392026

Meanwhile I tested the same scene on my windows pc (i7 8700k 16GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB RAM) most of the frames were rendered within 2min, at the same frame number my the render crashed on my Mac it started to be painfully slow (4 samples in 16min)

(Trying to render a point cloud consisting of approximately 1.6 instances of a icosphere)

Will look into the links you provided later this evening. Thanks for the support so far

1 Like

Update: Realized the instances, now renders again. There seems to be an issue using geo nodes…

Are now at 50million faces, memory usage: approximately 50GB when rendering

Would a bug report be appropriate?

Sounds more like reducing the number of faces is more appropriate.

2 Likes

Well, on realized geometry it works, it is even 20% faster, difficult to render 1.6million points of a point cloud and using less faces (currently icosphere, 1subdiv)
(unless I don’t know how to render them properly, since using a volume and pointinfo is just to timeconsuming for a dissolving title effect)

1 Like

50m polys is totally doable by any modern render engine. Come on.

I heard there is a trick to creating a new object with a geo nodes instance, and then dragging the original geo nodes object into it, which basically caches the result of the previous object into the second yielding massive performance improvements.

Yeah, as long as you have enough RAM…

Thanks, going to try this too…
I assume this does also work for geo nodes containing (baked) simulation nodes…

Sorry that I didn’t answer for this long, was quite sick for a few days…
Hope y’all had good Christmas holidays (for those who celebrate it)

and thanks so far for the answers…

(For those interested: Im doing a dissolution of text, in quite high resolution, currently using spheres probably switching to the faces itself to reduce overhead, sacrificing a little bit of quality… a second test I did, with a longer text used 150M Faces without any problems, even exceeding the total system ram, only resulting in a performance penalty)

I think there is a memory leak - I’m trying to render a smoke sim and have this error every 30 frames or so (The sim was baked at 512 resolution!), but if I cancel and hit render again it carries on.

I’d like to revive this topic… with a little addition…
I got exactly the same error when trying to render on M2 max with Blender 4.1 (release version.)
And I don’t think it’s a VRAM issue. The scene uses about 8GB of Ram…and my MacBook has 96GB. (No other programs open which use a lot of RAM.)
I also don’t use Geonodes in this scene.

What causes the problem for me is simply enabling motion blur. As soon as I disable it it works. With CPU I can also render with motion blur.
Did anyone else encounter this?
It’s pretty annoying as I desperately need motion blur in the scene…and CPU render takes forever…

I don’t know if it’s easy to find the cause because there are many different causes.

You can search for similar cases in the link below.

※ If someone else can recreate it, they can report it as a bug.

In other ways, you can use the filter to give the motion blusher.

I tried the vector blur node before. but unfortunately the results are pretty bad. no chance to use it for a photorealistic scene.

It is important to identify the source of the underlying problem, but there are currently about two things you can try.

1. Try running the blender using the Command Promport. The blender has a problem, so you can check the record even if it crashes.

2. Try batch rendering.
    This method can also avoid problems that may be caused by the GUI and use more memory.
    https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/advanced/command_line/launch/macos.html

※ If the problem still doesn’t improve, try reporting the bug.

Add…

If you assume that the memory used for rendering is close to the limit.
Enable the motion blender to increase memory, which can cause problems.

I think we can try the test in a simple way.

Use simplify to lower the level of subdivision and the quality of the images used in the scene and test it.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/render_settings/simplify.html