Render times: Blender and Lumion

Hello, I am not sure if this is the best place for this question so I apologize if it is out of place:

I work in the construction industry where we typically use Revit and Lumion to build and render out models for our pursuits. However, I introduced Blender to the office as I use it for my own personal projects and have been using it to create short animations and detail models to compliment our primary models.

However, my PM was asking me why Blender takes so long to Render images and animations where Lumion can produce final images in sometimes a matter of seconds. I wasn’t sure how to answer his question so I am reaching out here! I assume the two programs utilize different methods to produce final renders but I have not been able to find much info online.

Thanks!

lumion is a realtime optimized engine last i checked, similar to what games use.

blender has two engines available, cycles the raytracer and eevee the realtime. long story short:

cycles takes a long time to render, but has immense realism potential. photorealistic and cinematic cgi.

eevee is the new realtime engine which would be a closer match to lumion. but its geared toward quality over speed at the moment, and its still fairly young.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply. That’s kind of what I was thinking. I’ll have to do some more experimenting with Eevee! I think “raytracing” was the word I was looking for. I am still trying to understand how these programs produce images and what it actually means to “render” something.

1 Like

This is always a nice place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLwRLS_ZR0

3 Likes

Thanks for the link!