Render to print

Hi

How can I set the DPI of an image made with EEVEE?

I found this feature below but it’s not working :
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/5082/setting-the-dpi-value-in-rendered-images

is there another way?

thanks

You just need a DPI to pixel converter: https://pixelcalculator.com/en

Default bit depth in render engines is 32-bit, but for printing 8-bit is more than enough. For professional work (print) I usually export PNG or TIFF 16-bit, but most of cases clients asks for 8-bit or a JPEG 300dpi, because of file size, yet will only set resolution and not color quality.

you did not understand

I want a 300DPI render for printing

DPI is dot per inch it’s a physical dimension for printers it’s not digital. The digital equivalent is bit depth. If you wanna print a A4 210x297mm you need to render 2480x3508px 8-bit image to have a 300dpi equivalent.

1 Like

to facilitate the calculation in the blender:

72dpi in photoshop keeps showing but I believe that the procedure described in the link I gave solves this
read the second post:
https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/high-resolution-300dpi-image-from-blender/1419912

do you confirm that this procedure works?

JPG 300 DPI is normally used for printing, because that number is what graphic professionals used as a quality standard. But that it’s not digital it’s a physical unit. There’s is a misundestanding about print quality with pixel quality, they’re nothing a like. You just need to get a proper resolution to avoid streching your image and loose details. If you open a file in Photoshop or Illustrator, and export same file in 72, 150 or 300 dpi, the only thing that will change is resolution, the bit depth will remain the same for all images. That is a very common confused topic in graphic design. That addon is doing the same as any DPI > Pixel calculator.

That depends on what kind of image you are printing, in what size, and on what medium. With high quality dye printers 16 bit might be better option. Same gradients that in 8 bit are choppy in 16 bit are silky smooth.

If the graphic company has that printing quality they will ask for better bit depth, normally don’t happen. They are stuck with JPG 300dpi since 90’s.

Didn’t happen to me. The company that is printing my stuff never advertised 16bit printing. I asked them, and they said: ‘sure we can do it’.

Normal is 8-bit, if a company has a printer were any person, considering not artists, can spot the difference, they will ask for a better quality image, yet expect a far more expensive service. Bad companies will always say “we can print anything”.

Your (RGB …) image will be converted to a CMYK equivalent, appropriate to the target digital press, in an operation known as “pre-flight.” This step is the responsibility of the printer, as it depends in part on their gear. You should be sure that the aspect-ratio (width vs. height) of your rendered image is appropriate for the final printed version so that it won’t get cropped.

Ask the printing professional what they want the parameters of the source file to be – it will depend in part on the exact printing equipment that they intend to use. (Press, ink, paper, process.) When you generate the deliverable file (from your OpenEXR master) to send to them, follow their specifications exactly.

They will be able to show you, on their calibrated screens, exactly what the printed image will look like, putting your (RGB) image and their (CMYK) pre-flight on the screen at the same time. They will ask you to sign-off on it, and it is very important that you do so. Go to their facility and look at the image on their screens – don’t ask them to “email it to you.”

Task: Render image from Blender and prepare for pro printing (300ppi, CMYK).

There is two meaning of “resolution”.

Dimensional resolution (px × px) and
qualitative resolution (ppi - pixel per inch (when printed it is called dpi - dots per inch, in fact it is same thing)).

For example, image with dimensions of 72px × 72px and resolution of 72ppi means that image has phisical dimensions of 1 × 1 inch. Image of 144px × 144px and resolution of 72ppi means that image has phisical dimensions of 2 × 2 inch.

Blender renders image in 72ppi.

Professional print preparation implies a resolution of 300ppi.

This means that if you need a 10 x 10 inch image with a resolution of 300 ppi, you need to set the dimensions to 3000px x 3000px in Blender (Output properties > Dimensions > Resolution X, Y). That way you will get a 3000px × 3000px image with 72ppi.

When you open that image in one of the image manipulation programs (Gimp, Krita, Photoshop…) you need to scale image to 300ppi and you will get a 10 × 10 inch image with a resolution of 300ppi.

Also, to prepare image for printing you need to edit image in some software which supports CMYK, like Photoshop or Krita and save as TIFF (best choice). And also when you convert from RGB to CMYK you need to adjust the color settings (so that the image in the new CMYK color profile looks more like the original RGB image ; )

You always use 8-bit color depth in fact.