rendering AVI codec format no sound problem

HI i am rendering in the sequencer the frames mix with the audio i want to render AVI codec but whe i render, the final AVI does not have sound any advice as to why is doing this what settings i may be missing thanks

Hi,

As far as I know codecs don’t include the audio track. You must have an external editor as Virtual Dub to merge your audio track. I do not remember exactly why is this, I guess some copyright, but honestly I don’t remember the reason. What is true is that there is no setting you are missing. AVI or quicktime codecs don’t merge the audio track in Blender.

One alternate solution is import them in Virtual Dub, it will do the job. Otherwise you can use FMMPG which alows you to incorporate any audio format, the result can be AVI as well. You can select Xvid with MP3 audio output AVI and you get your movie made.

wooow your kidding me i was under the impression that that was the only reason to render in codec to render the final animation with composited frames an audio togetrher

nop, it is all the way around. FFmpg allows you to mix the audio track. FFMPG is great but obviously it depends what are your final requirements.

where can i find FFmpeg i dont see incorporated in blender 2.49

for right now i am doing test lypsicing but i plan put put them un the web

FFMPEG is listed in the same drop-down as the AVI codec option.

You choose both video & audio codecs for use with FFMPEG. Note that with 2.49b, if you choose the Xvid codec for video, it does not seem to actually use the Xvid codec – my tests indicate it uses another MPEG-4 encoding instead – and it writes the wrong FourCC code to the .avi file, making it unplayable in Virtual Dub unless you change the FourCC – the current Xvid installer includes a little utility to do that.

Make sure that in the FFMPEG Audio tab you enable “Multiplex Audio.”

FFMPEG generally writes larger files than using Virtual Dub and the true Xvid codec, so if file size is a consideration, you should use the external app. Also, FFMPEG does not let you configure the Xvid codec – one clue that it isn’t really using Xvid. If you are mixing audio tracks in the VSE, you can do a Mixdown in the Scene>Audio tab to use with Virtual Dub.

A workflow I use a lot is to make FFMPEG versions of short sequences as the work progresses, checking audio sync and animation quality, and when things are finalized, write a PNG image sequence out from the VSE, plus an Audio mixdown if there’s any mixing in the VSE, then do the final multiplexing in Virtual Dub to take advantage of VDub’s more complete configuration options.

@scan36 Along with Chip’s advice there is also Avidemux if you struggle finding a working combination of vid and audio codecs via Blenders FFmpeg GUI. Render out of Blender as image sequences. Add sound and image sequences in Avidemux and encode out.

@scan36 & Animaticode. avi and .mov are containers not codecs, they hold your audio and video plus some metadata. It’s confusing when you say you rendered to .avi or .mov, that doesn’t tell anyone anything really. :slight_smile:

For some unexplain reason i dont see FFmpeg from the dropdownlist under format tab in the render botton all i see is AVI codec, AVI jpg and AVI raw i dont even see quicktime when i chose AVI codec i get a pop up window name video compression only allowing me the options full frame uncompress, intel IYUV codec and microsoft video 1 , so where do i find the FFmpeg from this menu

What OS and what version of Blender? Sounds like MS Windows if you have a choice of AVI codecs?

Sounds like you have an old build without FFMPEG compiled in? Then perhaps download 2.49b from www.blender.org or a 2.53 build from www.graphicall.org.

Or if you are using 2.53 then FFMPEG is incorrectly named MPEG in the drop down list. :slight_smile:

i am using blender 2.49 i even have the latest blender 2.53 and i dont see FFmpeg on the output movie options on the render botton i have windows 7 for OS

yeah in the 2.53 i do see mpeg

Is your 2.49b the Blender Foundation release or a custom build from a site like graphicall.org? Be aware that some custom builds do not include all features, and FFMPEG is one that I notice is sometimes left out.

It’s not listed as FFmpeg on the Output menu, it’s incorrectly named MPEG. Click that and you’ll get a new drop down tab called ‘Encoding’ for settings.

Having found that you can then struggle to find a decent combination of vid and audio codecs that actually encode together, Good luck with that, you’ll need it. :slight_smile: Suggest encoding just a short sequence first.

Alternatively use VirtualDub or Avidemux, both of which will do the job better and easier.

If you are using the 64bit Windows version of 2.49 there is a note on the download page that this version does not contain FFMpeg, OpenAL or Quicktime

ok thanks richard i think that what it is i have the 64 bit version of blender 2.49 that i downloaded from blender.org i will try the 32 bit version if it runs on my machine since i dont know how to use the 2.53 version yet but iguess i will learn, as far as yellow advice to use virtual dub are these stand alone programs that i have to dowload or i need a script in blender in order to export

@scan36, no script needed, yes download apps. I think you already say you have image frame sequences and audio done?

If so just add them in Avidemux or VirtualDub, choose encoder and encode.

Otherwise render out of blender as image sequences or RAW avi (uncompressed) and mixdown the audio (2.49b)

@ Richard Marklew – good catch, I wasn’t aware the 64-bit versions also exclude FFMPEG & other options.

@scan36 – Virtual Dub (VDub) is an Open Source video toolbox utility that is easy to obtain (just google for the download page) and integrates well into a Blender-centric workflow. No scripts are needed to use it with Blender’s output. Probably the most common (and definitely the recommended) approach is to output a PNG image sequence from Blender. VDub will read the entire sequence of frames (as long as they are properly numbered in sequence) if you just drag the first frame onto its icon or into its workspace.

You can use a number of audio sources for VDub but likely the most common for a Windoze machine is WAV. The Blender Sequencer (VSE) outputs its Mixdown audio as a WAV file. In VDub you can specify the WAV audio source and an audio codec (chosen from whatever you have on board your system), then write the multiplexed a/v to the .avi container format.

VDub also has a number of tools for video processing and interleave adjustment. It can also write out image sequences from video formats that are often easier to use in Blender than the original movie file. It’s a good utility to have on hand.

now i have another problem i ca not get VirtualDub to recognize WAV file any sugestion?

What settings are you using in the Audio portion of VDub?

My usual approach:

Full processing mode
Audio from other file (this opens a file dialog to find the WAV file)
Compression (I use MP3 usually)