Rendering Fake PBR BGE

Hi all, I work in the game industry and have been working with blender for years. I decided to try out faking a PBR pipeline in the Blender Game engine rendering and this was the result.

Tutorial on how to:

Here is a video Link

Link to runtime
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5NhONOBfQ57d3RuOExoTkx0bkU/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

it’s beautifully done,

is it nodes or glsl or regular shaders or?

Fine work.

There is no node work all of this is just texture and normal materials

It looks very fancy. When can you share the setup with us? Also, are the reflections view dependent?:slight_smile:

Impressiv, but what is now your conlusion about blender in terms of use for Game Development?
As someone from the industry i’am intressted about your opinion :slight_smile:

The reflections are view dependent I’m thinking of doing a tutorial video on how I did the set up.

It would be possible to do a game in it. But most likely there would have to do some re writes of the source code. There some solid ideas in there and some nice possibilities in the renderer.

Tkz …
I “think” this tutorial will have more success on the tutorial section.
If u can do a tutorial with “step by step” will be great too. (no forget the screen-cast key add-on).
U have my like it in you-tube.
Cheers.

If you can help sort out the render, I would donate to a campaign.

What is good about this thing:

• It has reflections
  • No reflection artifacts
  • It has all the needed texture maps(maybe except parallax)
  • It is effecient enaugh

What is bad about this thing:

• Reflections are not view dependent, they look the same from all the angles
  • There is no fresnel which is one of most important PBR terms

On the reflections this is true but doing it the right way no one will notice.
on fresnel no… there is no sutch basic thing in eather unity unreal or other pbr realtime lithing systems by defualt.(not saying it is not commonly used)
But it could easly be done with the shader nodes in the BGE i just din’t do it : ) Fresnel is not hard to create in the BGE.

Let me know if you want to make a bge game, I have a ton of resources but…

I usually rewrite from scratch based on the application, and would be happy to help.

Nice work.

edit about the reflection solution

look at cube mapped reflections in resources, by HG1

I think* you can use the reflection map of a 3rd person actor as a environment/reflection map for everything around it, except planes,

which can use realtime planeular reflections.

Maybe…

I have taken a close look and I am 100% sure that Unity 5 Standard shader has fresnel. Why UE4 wouldn’t have it - it is much stronger engine!

Yes, I have done fresnel there. Only thing wrong for me is roughness, lol. And seams in reflection.