Rendering Fur Faster

I have this furry creature and I was wondering if there are any tips for rendering fur faster. I have not tried baking and not sure if that is something I should even do to make frame rendering faster. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Donā€™t know where you at or what do you know about it, what studies have you done on the topic, how experienced you areā€¦ but i assume you at least know stuff from the manualā€¦
anyways,
hereā€™s one thread i recall that deals withā€¦ (there are suggestions, but no ā€œreally fasterā€ solution)

Well he is in animation right now and am rendering per shot. I found the best compromise for 2,79 and the use of samples to keep noise at a minimum. the fur usually does not move around with with wind or movement but his tail has some hair dynamics applied. I have tried. The file is too large to post and I have done most everything included in the suggestiion (thank you very much)

Surprisingly, I am using a 6g GPU and optimized the tile setting for the GPU but it still seems to be slower than using just the CPU but I dont want to put that much strain on my processor.

I am not rendering in layers but, although it may appear to save time, when you add up the cumulutaive render time I am assuming it would be about the same. I havent tried that yet but am considering it. It just seems that rendering my final in layers (which would be more efficient especially if you want to make changes later I understand) but for this particular piece I was just going to keep them as one layer. Although I can render it as layers if I can think of a time saving factor to do this in.

Well, what exactly is the origin of the speed problem? Render takes to long per sample? Needs to many samples? Hair sim?

The suggestions above sound good. That hair perform badly on GPU I can confirm.

One more suggestion maybe. Tune the number of line/curve segment subdivisions. Lower is not always better.

I believe the origin is in the fur samples but the fur looks quite realistic and I may have to live with it. I have lowered my samples and changed the amount on subdivisions but I cant compromise too much without losing its realistic look. I may just have to love with it.

Yes, it is amazing how I get a little faster response using my CPU rather than using my GPU. I have altered tiles sizes as well to optimize for either/ or but it does appear that I get a better response from my CPU. But I dont want to put that much work on my CPU for a render.

I have never tried baking. Would something like that work or am I barking up the wrong tree if that makes any sense?

I know exactly where your coming from, given the first few things I actually modeled where furry creatures/monsters/animals etc etc. I sadly have some bad news. There is only way way to speed up a render when you have a complex fur system (or several in a scene or a model).

You really need a better GPU, Id recommend a workstation GPU. Maybe some more RAM and a better CPU. At the end of the day its really matters on your techā€¦and your current scene. You can do a bit of other things to help the scene a little. Small tweaks to your render scene.

Baking like you said helps to keep subdivision surfaces to a basic range if your using normal maps, lowering subdivisions, removing excess geometry, those small things. But its really your tech you have to look at and think about upgrading to handle more complex things and render them more faster.

I wouldnt recommend baking unless your planning on a normal map to be doing most of the visual work. But given the nature of fur is to cover things, baking wont really help you. It can speed up things by keeping subdivision surfaces to a lower count a little bit on other objects in your scene.

I saw your comment on your GPU above, you sadly need a bigger and more powerful one. Blender can render things very well using a CPU if you have a gaming based or just standard GPU. If your GPU isnt up to speed CPU rendering while annoying is very good at handling massive renders.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have a 6 gig NVIDIA card and yes, not the ultimate but all I could afford considering the bitcoin craze. It was funny though how I thought the GPU would be faster but oh well. I will really need to go with a bigger system to get this done

1 Like

We have the same GPU, dont worry about it not being powerful and perfect. Mine was a rushed purchased to try and be a better artist. Good luck with your creations and work.

Current GPUs just seem not be well-suited for fur rendering. Too much random memory accesses I guess.

Sadly the situation hasnā€™t changed overlay much with recent hardware. Comparing an i7-8700 to a GTX 1080, the CPU wins on hairy scenes, and also otherwise the speedup isnā€™t so impressive anymore. Didnā€™t try the insanely expensive ā€˜professionalā€™ cards, though. Shouldnā€™t be faster for Blender. DP floats donā€™t matter. More mem, yes, so you can render bigger scenes, but that should be all.

It would seem logical that a GPU would help but so sad many of us get into the GPU concept and then find out that the CPU does a faster job. I tried with CPU processing only and the results were half the time of the GPU.

Thanks AliasDreams for letting me know your challenge with the same GPU. Helps me know I am not going crazy

you can use eevee for rendering, the speed is very faster than Cycles.

I m struggling with rendering hair particles in 2.79 and now im trying in eevee.Result is way better than 2.79 but needs much more configuration.I suggest you to use eevee