Rendering Stainles Steel model issues

I’m currently working on rendering a stainless steel model and wanted to share an example of what I’ve accomplished so far. Despite my efforts, I’m not entirely satisfied with the outcomes. Specifically, at the joint between two components, everything appears blurred, almost as if it were soldered. I’ve attempted to adjust the lighting to rectify this issue, but unfortunately, these attempts have been unsuccessful.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips you might have to offer. Your expertise and suggestions would be invaluable to me as I aim to improve the quality of my rendering.

Thank you in advance for your help and support!

First off, welcome to the community, @Boris_Tsekinovsky! Thanks you for sharing your image and being detailed about what you are trying to fix!

The biggest thing that immediately jumps out to me is that rendering reflective materials always looks wrong until it is given something to reflect. Adding an environment texture for it to reflect goes a long way to sell the realism.

Next, if you’d be willing and able, it would be good to see what your shader nodes look like. Maybe we can make suggestions based off what you already have set up.

Lastly, I can’t tell 100% or not, but your item appears to have been rendered with an orthographic camera. There is something slightly off-putting for realistic items to be rendered orthographically - like our brain rejects it as fake.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

Welcome :tada:

…additionally: a wireframe render could show the topology and if you used smooth shading and/or subdivision modifier where supporting edges should be add to make it less soldered… i mean you have some or some grease edges to control the “sharpness” of your workpiece ??