Renderman for Blender (Updating to 23)

Hi guys! I’ve been really interested in using Blender/Renderman at my studio, and I know the official add-on doesn’t work with 2.8 or Renderman 23. So, I’m going to see what I can do to get it updated.

I found a fork on GitHub from user King-Wally that has gotten it a pretty good way there. I got it to load in Blender 2.8, but it would crash on render. So, not a terrible baseline, but clearly needs some work.

I’m not sure I’m the best one for the job, and I don’t know how far I’ll get, but I’ll do what I can and wanted to invite anyone else who’s interested to join in on the fun. I made a fork of my own for dev purposes.

https://github.com/lunadigital/RenderManForBlender

I’ll keep updating this thread with progress, if I make any!

3 Likes

First question to the community!

On Linux (Fedora specifically), hitting the render button freezes Blender but throws an error in the console that says RNA_float_get: RendermanShaderSocket.default_value not found. I’ve tracked down someone with a similar issue but they didn’t find an answer either.

Has anyone come across this before?

About to test, looks like 2.8 update.

I wasn’t able to get that one to work for me. I think he’s tied up in the Arnold for Blender development as well, so I don’t know if he’s done any more work on the Renderman lately.

EDIT: I also believe the fork I used as my base was made from Tyler’s fork. So what I have is a little more up-to-date as far as I can tell.

1 Like

The main problem I see is that we can’t get the old RMan 21 anymore and the development stopped and RMan 23 has many changes. :frowning: I did get to use RMan for a few months before at least. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I wish there was an easy way to get old versions of the NC version without paying for it. Might just have to spring for a license at the end of the day but I’ll see what I can do first.

Even, if you get the R21 installer, you can’t get the NC license for it.
The only way is/ was to have it and open it at least once every couple of months…

I’ve been digging through source code today and I think this is a red herring. Turning on debug and verbose modes show the render gets all the way through parsing the scene, but doesn’t appear to do anything after that. The output directory in /tmp/ also appears to be empty, so I wonder if it’s failing to write the RIB files for some reason. Will do more experimenting tomorrow.