Rending small image size - how to maintain maximum possible quality on this object ..?

I’m rendering out an image which is just 152 px by 152 px.
These are my render settings*.
You can see on the curve at the bottom, there’s a little loss in quality…not horrible tho. I suppose this is the best I can get… or is it? If you have any tips let me know.

I would recommend rendering double the size you want and downscaling in Photoshop or your preferred software. Downscaling, somewhat counter-intuitively, has more data to work with than a initially small image, so it can get better quality.

So in your case I’d render at 304x304

So, a .png image export at 304x304 and halved in Photoshop will look better than a 152x152 exported directly from Blender?
I’ve got Photoshop (buts its an ancient CS2)… but it does have resampling methods Bicubic, Bicubic smoother, Bicubic sharper, Bilinear and Nearest Neighbor. I guess I could try all of them to see which does the best job.

It should :slight_smile: your results might vary but generally speaking, yeah, rendering high and downscaling gives better quality than rendering small

1 Like

I’ll give it a try.

Set the film filter size to 1.0 or lower. The lower the worse the aliasing but it gets significantly sharper.

(Oops this is an old post my bad. But the advice still stands for anyone looking)

1 Like

High image resolution may reduce crushing in Denoises.

But it’s not without impact.

We also improve it by applying a little bit of sharpen using Photoshop or Compositing. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s an old post… :sweat_smile:

1 Like