Replace linked rig

Hi everybody,
I would like to ask how I can replace a linked rig with an updated version of it? I come from Maya, where we reference the rig from the rig file into the animation files. When the rig gets updated we can push “replace reference” and choose the new version of the rig to replace the old version within the animation file. I have several animation files that have a linked rig in it. Now I have a second version of the rig with different materials that I would like to use for some of the animation scenes. How can I replace the linked rig in those scenes with the version B?

Thnak you very much I wish you all a great weekend! Best regards!

I don’t have a ton of experience with it to summarize myself, but Pierrick Picaut covered the topic here:

Hi @cjgladback ! Thank you very much for your reply. I watched the video but unfortunately he does not explain how to replace/swap the link.

For me, it worked to make a new armature in the same file where the one I linked resided, make sure its corresponding bones have the same names, and rename the armature to have the name of the first armature (I just deleted the first armature, you could probably rename it). The file I had linked it into gave me an error when I opened it, but the armature was replaced with the new one and still had the animation I’d put on the first one.

@cjgladback Thank you for your reply. I’m not sure if I can follow you? Maybe my explanation sounds more complicated than it actually is. I just want to change the “link” or “path” to a new one. I would like to keep both file versions. So currently I have:
Characterrig

Which is linked into several animation scenes. For some of them I would like to use a different texture. So I make another version, like this:

Characterrig (as before)
Characterrig B (new altered version)

Some shots will keep the link as is, while in others I would simply like to “repath” the link instead of “Characterrig” to instead change the link to “Characterrig B” (Which is basically the same character just with different colors)

So simply I would like to tell Blender "instead of using “Link A” keep everything as is, just make it “Link B” instead. Its a very basic yet crucial thing in production. Is there is no way in Blender of doing this?

Okay. I know this solution looks old, but it seems to still be the case:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/13800/moving-a-linked-library
Here’s what it looks like in my file. In the outliner, switch to viewing the Blender File (usually mine’s on the view layer by default):
Then, under libraries you can right click on the file you want to switch and link to a different one:

2 Likes

@cjgladback This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!!! :grin:

1 Like