[REQUEST] Brick texture node with more than two colour inputs

I believe you are right, but the test I made here gave me no difference that I could relly take in consideration besides the fact that the render I did with the colorramp was finished in 10.77 sec and the one with the greater than node was finished in 10.89 seconds. Maybe with textures it could be different. I will make a try.

Edit: Nope, the render with textures had also the same result.

Edit2: that’s for Cycles. I know that EEVEE is not so friendly to some procedural calculations.

The reason for this is: modern computing graphic cards have lots of lots of computing units and yes you will not see much difference in such a little example because this is done in no-time… but consider this: having much more heavy computing all over the scene (in offline or real-time) with lots of other texture generation and shaders this will make a difference…

But you don’t have to believe me. Just search for:
Emil Persson, Head of Research, Avalanche Studios, Low-Level Thinking in High-level Shading Languages 2013

“Nowadays renowned industry luminaries include shader snippets in ther GDC presentations where trivial trasnforms would have resultedt in a faster shader”

or this one:

Reducing utilization of ALU from say 50% to 25% while bound by something else (TEX/BW/etc.) probably doesn’t improve performance, but lets the GPU run cooler. Alternatively, with today’s fancy power-budget based clocks could let the hardware maintain a higher clock-rate than it could otherwise, and thereby still run faster.

This is 8 (very soon 9 :wink: ) years old !!!

The forum system also ask me if i want to discuss this in private… maybe we stop here (at least for this year)… Have a healthy new 2022.

1 Like

ok. Thanks for the answer. But I struggled with my textures being tilled on each brick. Can you say please, how I can fit my entire texture in each brick texture tile?

Thanks

You will need “brick tricks” for this, “brick tricks” will give you a uv map per brick, Blenders standard brick texture does not.

Edit:
Ahhhhhhh I see it is you who asked in the Brick Bricks thread!
Take a look at the example I gave in the thread that I have linked it shows how to map one texture onto each brick with Brick tricks.

Basicaly you need to use the UV output of the Brick Tricks pattern node to map your image.

2 Likes

yeah! it’s me… I’m already trying to do with brick tricks… but I’m totally noob at blender. I was trying to figure out how to join multiple texture which brings me to this thread here!!! hauhauah!!! I’m gonna check your tip… thank you so much!!!