[REQUEST] Brick texture node with more than two colour inputs

Hi, everyone!

I’d like to ask if it’s possible to tweak the default brick texture node in order to have more than two inputs for colour. This would be super useful for creating floors with multiple textures. There is a multitexture addon for 3ds max I think. I search for addons with this ability but I wasn’t able to find anything relative.

You just need to plug a mix color node before the color input and adjust the mix factor with whatever you want.

2 Likes

You can not tweak Blenders inbuilt nodes, they are coded into the program.
However if you want to get a larger colour range “per brick” you can do something like this:

The brick colour output gives you different shades of grey.
The white noise texture randomises the colour.
The colour ramp node lets you choose the hues you want.
The final mix node gets the morter back for you.

6 Likes

Thanks for your input but what I’m looking for isn’t just a colour variation. I’d like to be able to input textures into the colour slots, not just colours. Thanks anyway though

Maybe then just say what you want in the first place ? :

But this one is only for two…
That’s correct…

Edit: sorry… the weather (rain, dark grey sky) makes me grumpy :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I think what the OP wants is for the brick node to have more than two color inputs and to be able to use textures for them. Sounds good but probably not going to be done. If it was changed there could be a ‘number of colors’ control and the node would change to accommodate that many.

Thoughts

• Use several brick nodes?
  • Could textures or materials be fed into the color inputs?
  • Is there a versatile brick or tile making add on?
  • Reinvent the wheel. Make a node tree that does what the brick node does but more versatile.
  • Blender is open source. You could change the node in the code and give your version to the devs.
1 Like

There’s a way, I think. Once I used the color ramp node to create a boolean control to use as a mix factor to mix several leaf textures to give some randomization to a tree. I did not use a brick texture as the font of the grey value but a geometry node “random per island” for that. It’s possible to make many combinations in line of black and white of coloramp nodes to control a sequence of mix nodes with the values 0 and 1 and mix several textures.

1 Like

This is a small demonstration of the principle, but you can use as many mix nodes as Blender accepts.

The result of that:

2 Likes

Okidoki 's method is great and is a solution, you can add more greater than nodes to get more textures.

Credit goes to Okidoki :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Basically, the method does the same. on and off.

No. To the blender community. Didn’t invented this.

Basically yes but generating colorramps and mixing multiple images is far more computing than just comparing to different numbers and mixing (the mortare mix could als be done with one compare).
Edit: of course only needed if very much to do… but anybody want’s always to go faster :wink:

I personally like the colorramp node because it gives the possibility to have gradients of mix in the textures if you desire to. In the case of the tree, it was useful to make a softer transition between green, yellow, and brown leaves. A control that I could not have using the greater than node.

Thank you all for your ideas and inputs. I’ll try out everything suggested here and come back with the results

1 Like

Okay for a more general solution maybe. But here was the (first) question (/request) to have more colors available… anyway: i wish everbody a happy new year.

And about computing, as far as I know, if you have a colorramp set as constant and have only black and white values you just have 2 numbers to compute, 0 and 1. Unless I understood really badly the theory.

Your three colorramps do internally compare the value on the whole spectrum from 0 to 1 in different partitions each and just comparing to 3 or 4 numbers is less work. Happy blending :slight_smile:

Wow, I thought we were talking about real computers and not abacos. If you need to make that level of comparison, maybe it’s time for an upgrade. Happy blendings.

?? Why do you think everybody in IT want to optimise everthing ?? Even making new languages which will be optimised in the next version? And most professional blender user want more speed faster render… ??

By the way, @birdnamnam that’s it. You had the chance to see two methods that give you the same functionality, what I think it’s important here is that for the future if you want to have the same control and also have the possibility to have soft mixes between your textures you already know how to solve the problem,

2 for the price of 1.