Retopo of wolf

Returning to Blender after a few years, I’m working on a wolf project. I plan to sculpt in the fur using alphas, but currently I have the rough shape worked out using the skin modifier.

I would like to retopo so that all the geometry is in one mesh and I can start actually modeling, but I don’t know how to go about placing poles, etc, so that the mesh looks good and has good geometry for posing/animation. Does anyone know of any tutorials (text or video) that show the proper topology of a wolf?

Let’s start with the video… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s good for direct sculpting, but I was looking for a way to preserve good topology for animation/posing. I have to use the mouse for sculpting, even if I did have a tablet, I have a nerve disorder which makes it hard to write/draw. I have the wolf I made using the skin modifier preserved, but I am currently trying to just model it so that I can better understand the topology as I go, but I’m still interested in any tutorials people have, as I would prefer to use the shapes generated with the skin modifier as the base for retopo instead of modeling by hand.

I think it’s hard to find a video that you’re modeling videos
So what I found is a video of 3 max and Maya.

It’s possible on Blender, too.
Look at the modeling method.

Another way is to get free wolf modeling and get the hang of it with Retology

blender modeling - dog

2 Likes

I didn’t even think to look up 3DS Max or Maya. Thanks!

1 Like