Retopology and Rigging

Hello, I’m sorry for this likely simple and begginer question, but what role does retopology have in rigging? And how do I set my model for rigging after I’m done with the retopology, so I can pose it?

For better reference, I am loosely following this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o366hhdw9dc&list=PL-80ZsfCCsnNuaN5mJfts2Yr6H8two9jc&index=19&ab_channel=DannyMac3D

In the video Danny does a retopology on his model, and later uses rigging to pose her. How do I achieve this?

Thank you in advance!!!

Retopology, usually used after a model sculpt is to reduce the number of faces to something more manageable, and also, make a better topology that is affected when the model is animated so that areas aren’t stretched or distorted like arm-pits, crotch, elbow, and knees, etc.

HOW? Watch these as both subjects are far more than a simple answer…

Thank you so much for the reply.

I’ve already watched the first video and finished the retopology for my model, so right now I have a low-poly version of my model, and the high-poly version.

Now I want to pose my high-poly model, right? Now what must I do so that rigging and moving the low-poly model also moves the high-poly?

(Not sure I’m using the right nomenclatures here, sorry, english is my second language)

Generally people only pose one model at a time, which in this case would be the low-poly. One of the reasons you retopologize in the first place is for better deforming at joints.

The step you’re missing is where you UV-unwrap the low-poly model, then “bake” the high-poly details into a normal map that is applied to the material of the low-poly model. It’s hard to summarize but there are many tutorials on this. This allows you to work with a lower-poly, better-deforming and lighter mesh in the rest of the workflow while still having the appearance of detail of the higher-poly mesh.

Here are a few videos about this process, from Grant Abitt:

and from BlenderGuru:

1 Like