Retopology review

Hi, I’m practicing retopology in blender (retopoflow tool) and need somebody to tell me what to correct. This is my seal model for animation

2 Likes

Hi Emilia,

Great first post! :blush:
I am not a topology great, but for my eyes, it looks good. Overall simmetric, detailed where need be, not where not that much.

You have some of these “diamond singularity” stuff, when five quad joins, not four, but I don’t think you can escape that. If the final looks good, it should be OK IMO.

One thing to think about is seams. If you use procedural textures, their position should not be a problem. I usually fare well with a 6px margin, no breaks on the bake. But you cannot flattwn those diamonds, and tails well, as they have these sock-shapes, so maybe broke those up. I recently experimented with UV unwrapping and scaled the islands flat and parallel with follow active quads. I eventually got stretches, so rather keep the original shape and put seams to use the most of the UV.

Btw, I visited a ZOO lately and seals were fun, the way they elegantly swim, eyes half closed, with a lil cheeky smile on their face lol :joy:

Happy blending :blush:

3 Likes