Retro speeder

Hey guys :slight_smile:

Here’s something from me:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0ynY4
^^^^^------^^^^^^ I’ve got more renders on my artstation here ^^^^^------^^^^^

This project took a pretty long time and I’ve learnt so much doing it, I do characters very rarely and I still don’t like how this one turned out but with quite a lot of iterations (body, clothing and etc were completely remade at least a couple of times) I feel like I learnt so much!

Feel free to tell me what you guys think :slight_smile: Or perhaps ask about parts of the process, I’ll try to explain it.

Cheers!

44 Likes

All that hard work has really paid off – excellent work, deserves top row for sure.

Thanks @Safetyman ! I personally don’t mind if some artwork doesn’t get noticed straight away it still can play a nice role in your portfolio :slight_smile:

This is too sweet. What are you using this for?

Thanks! :slight_smile: It’s a personal artwork for my portfolio, not everything is UVed and textured, some parts are using procedural materials so it’s not a game ready asset at the moment, perhaps one day :slight_smile:

1 Like

wooooow man this soo awesome, lots of details, and soo realistic

you still beter than most of us

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, but don’t get demotivated, it’s just time and patience put into learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, i kinda feelt that way, every time i try to reach realistic things a just sock,s
the only thing i am almost good at is lowpoly modeling and stylized character, which i am happy with

1 Like

Start with the foundational skills. For character design it’d be anatomy, pose, proportion, contrast, emotion etc. Once you grasp those it’s much easier to go into details and express yourself.

Hardsurface / hipoly / lowpoly has different foundational skills like technical aspects of modelling, understanding function & form, topology, building your visual library , also referencing everything is super important!

2 Likes

yeah,
i dont want to turn this into a chat thread, but the most thing that i stuck with is lighting,
i,v watched anderw price,s lighting video , and yet i am bad at it, not to mention the materials and textures,

1 Like

Lighting also has foundational skills :slight_smile: but it only coexists with form, composition and materials / surfacing if you’re messing up in any of these it won’t look good.

I’d say don’t watch just 3d related videos, watch some product photographers explain what they’re doing, learn 3 point lighting, and actually these days a simple HDR map can get you very far :slight_smile:

Here are a couple of options:

2 Likes

Awesome work!

1 Like

this is great think you for the links, you just made me a huge help :slight_smile:

1 Like

#featured!!

2 Likes

Yay thanks :slight_smile:

Awesome work. Congratulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Wow! Looks awesome! Especially liked the engine part!

1 Like

Man, those details sure are lots of hard work, very well deserving of a feature.
Thank you for those links :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Can we see the wireframe?

1 Like