Retro Tech: 80s Movie Appearances

This is a collection of work I have created as a showcase of my love for 80s movies (and games, music, culture etc). The full set are also on ArtStation, amongst other things - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3WKbw

Ok, so the Polaroid isn’t from a particular 80s movie that I know of (suggestions/references VERY welcome), but I really wanted to make this one. Also, I just love Ready Player One, so the Atari kinda had to be included. Otherwise, the unsung heroes include;

JVC GR-C1 – Back to the Future (1985)
Sharp GF 7600 Boombox – Say Anything (1989) & Ready Player One (2018)
Atari 2600 + Adventure – Ready Player One (2018)
Motorola DynaTAC 8000X – Wall Street (1987)
SONY Walkman WM-B39 + MDR-3L2 headphones – Ghostbusters II (1989)
Seiko Voice Note M516 – Ghostbusters (1984)
Panasonic RC-6015 – Back to the Future (1985)

97 Likes

Nice works. Also your Artstation gallery is amazing. Love your ‘useful’ aparatus.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :grinning::+1:t2:

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Crazy amounts of thought and detail went into the modeling I can tell. Great job!

1 Like

modeling went to the next level, well done I really like it

1 Like

These are great. Tasty… Love the Atari – when games were super simple…

1 Like

wow! amazing work!

1 Like

Haha, I love these. So much fun!

1 Like

“Those games were as complicated and technically advanced as anyone could make them be … with both hands tied behind our backs.” I grew up during this era but certainly do not miss it. However, I never could have begun to dream(!) that we would have advanced nearly so far during my lifetime as we have done today. The “toys” are vastly more powerful, and vastly less expensive!

Still, “Moore’s Law” shows no sign of slowing down. Which means that you should be prepared. In a couple more decades, your computers are going to be sitting around some digital campfire someplace, laughing at how “primitive” their predecessors were! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha for sure!.. Also, AI will figure out how to become human (just thought of the movie “Upgrade”) and then get to a point when they’ll be talking about “when natural humans were around”…

@fabriceyes Again, these are really great. I’m normally not big on a lot of color but the color is on point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

these are all awesome

1 Like

I recently added another item to the Retro Tech collection.
This is the slightly bizarre and short-lived console from Milton Bradley; the Vectrex (1982-1984)

2 Likes

i almost bought one of those back in the day… it looked so neat. ended up going colecovision instead, to replace the fairchild channel f i had.

nice renders. :slight_smile:

Nice! The ColecoVision and Fairchild Channel F both look pretty interesting. I’m forever discovering these weird and wonderful products from the past. :grin:

I didn’t realize it at the time, of course, but in retrospect, the controller for the Channel F was quite innovative for its day: the top part moves like a joystick, twists like a paddle, and can be pushed in/pulled out like… well, no other controller I’ve seen since (the playstation controllers do have the push in part, but not the pull out part). :smiley: there was also a trigger for firing, but all controllers at the time had those, just in different places.

1 Like