Revisiting Chris Jones’s Hand Rig with Tendons

A while ago, I stumbled across this video from Chris Jones about rigging a hand to have tendons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfk9Ida918
Ever since I saw this, I have been interested in trying this rigging experiment for myself. I suppose the only reason I have not investigated this interesting rig until now is a lack of time. As I post here, I hope to create a specific guide on how this rig works for my (and hopefully others) future reference.

What I know about this rig as of now (almost all information for this is taken from this post)

• What causes the bump in the mesh is a shrinkwrap modifier put over what seems to be another bone inside the hand. It is my assumption there is some kind of hidden cylinder attached to this bone in order to give the required volume for the hand.
  • A smooth modifier is placed over the model to make this shrinkwrap appear more natural. A weight-painted vertex group is made for where the tendons are positioned to ensure this smoothing does not affect the entire model.

I suppose what I am looking for in this post is confirmation of whether my theories are accurate, and further elaboration on how this thing works. Thank you!

1 Like

You can ask further to Chris as well in his post :blush:

2 Likes