Hi everyone,
This is a bit of a long one, but I think some of you will relate.
A little background
I started using Mixamo back in the Blender 2.7x days, when Adobe Fuse was still around and we used it to build characters, sent them to Mixamo, and pulled the rigged FBX back into Blender. For a long time that was my whole character pipeline. Upload, wait, download, import, fix the scale, fix the bone roll, and hope nothing broke on the way.
Later I moved to Auto-Rig Pro, and I’m still a big fan. It’s a serious tool and it has saved me countless hours. Nothing in this post is meant to knock it.
But one thing always bugged me. Every time I just wanted a quick character walking or waving in a scene, I still ended up jumping between Blender and Mixamo for the motion, then retargeting, then cleaning up. For a simple previz or a background character, that felt like too many steps.
How I got involved
A few weeks ago, Blender Ustad (One of the famous YouTubers) messaged me and asked if I would test a new addon before release, called Instant Rigger and Animator. To be clear, I was asked to test it by the creator, so take this as a tester’s review, not a random find.
The idea sounded simple: rig a humanoid, pick an animation from a built-in library, tweak it and export, all without leaving Blender. I’ve heard “one click rig” promises before, so I went in skeptical.
The first round was rough (and that’s fine)
My first test build threw errors. I sent the details back, and honestly I was surprised how fast they came back with a fixed version. Not weeks, it was very quick. I then tested the updated build again before it went public, and this time it worked through the whole workflow for me.
What the workflow actually looks like
It’s a five-step panel in the N sidebar:
- Character: select your meshes (or the parent Empty, or a collection), set the facing and up axis, and pick T-pose or A-pose.
- Body Guides: it places guide circles for you, from pelvis to toe tip. You just nudge the ones that look off. Mirror is on by default and there’s a Side View button to check depth.
- Skeleton & Bind: check the preview skeleton and hit Auto Bind Character. Then test with the Neutral, Elbows, Arms and Hip poses.
- Animate: pick from 2,300+ clips in 24 categories (walk, run, dance, fight, sit, sports, gestures and more). Click a clip and it plays on your character straight away. Add the ones you want.
- Edit & Keyframe: fix things with simple IK controls, then export to FBX or GLB.
The parts that impressed me most
- No round trip. No uploading, no re-importing, no rescaling. The character stays in my .blend the whole time.
- No retargeting. The clips are already mapped to the rig it builds. This alone is the biggest time saver compared with my old Mixamo routine.
- Clothing and separate parts. You don’t pick a character type. It looks at the geometry when you bind and decides how to weight it, so a body with a jacket, boots and hair gets handled in one go. It also handles characters that are only clothing with no body underneath, and robots made of rigid pieces.
- Animation Corrections. This is the one I didn’t expect. When a hand goes through the hip in a stock clip, you move the hand control once and the fix spreads across the whole clip or a frame range, with blend in and out. The original motion stays underneath, so you can reset.
- Your originals are safe. It binds copies, so the source meshes stay untouched.
Limitations I Observe
I’d rather you hear these from me than find out after. This is what I ran into or confirmed while testing:
Character and rig
- Humanoids only. No quadrupeds, creatures with extra limbs, or tails.
- No facial rig. Eyes, jaw and expressions are not rigged. Hair, teeth and eyes just follow the head.
- The character needs a neutral T-pose or A-pose. Characters modeled in an action pose won’t fit well.
- The body skeleton is simple: 19 deform bones, or 49 with five fingers per hand. That’s a three-bone spine and one bone per foot. There are no separate toe bones, twist bones or stretchy limbs. That’s great for games and previz, but it’s not a full production rig.
- No foot roll, foot locking or contact detection. Feet can slide in some clips, and you fix that by hand with the IK controls.
Binding and meshes
- Meshes with shape keys or an existing armature modifier aren’t supported. The same goes for procedural hair strands. Make a clean neutral copy first.
- There are vertex limits. The body can have about 100,000 evaluated vertices, or 500,000 with clothing and parts. Characters with no body underneath (multipart skinning) are limited to 100,000 in total. Very dense sculpts need a lower-poly version.
- The rigged result is a copy with modifiers applied. Your original stays safe, but the rigged copy doesn’t keep your modifier stack.
- It’s not a cloth or hair sim. Long skirts, capes and very loose clothing may need weight touch-ups.
- Guide placement is an estimate from the geometry. It isn’t true anatomy detection. On unusual proportions, always check the joints in side view.
- Changing guides or adding fingers after binding means rebinding.
Animation
- You can’t import your own mocap or Mixamo FBX. It works with its built-in library (2,300+ clips), and it doesn’t retarget your own files.
- Only five library clips include finger motion. The rest animate the body only, and there’s a Grip control to curl the fingers yourself.
- Stock motion doesn’t always fit your character’s proportions. Hands can clip through hips, and you’ll use Animation Corrections to fix that.
- There’s no clip blending or NLA-style sequencing. Each animation is a separate action, and you export them one at a time.
So for me it doesn’t replace Auto-Rig Pro. If I need a full production rig with stretch, foot roll and facial controls, I still reach for that. What it replaces is the Mixamo part of my workflow, plus a lot of the fiddly cleanup after it.
https://youtube.com/shorts/mc3RTtjCtlE?feature=share
Final thoughts
After years of the upload, download, retarget, clean up loop, rigging a character, picking a run cycle and seeing it play in the viewport a few minutes later inside Blender genuinely felt good. It’s not magic, so check your joints and test poses, but for everyday character work it’s a real time saver.
It’s now available here: Superhive
Happy to answer questions about my testing. I’d also love to hear how others handle quick character animation in Blender these days. Are you still on Mixamo, Rigify, Auto-Rig Pro, or something else?