Rigg has no eye controller

so im following a tutorial by bran sculps and im trying to rig a character but the metarig (made with rigify) seems to not have or has lost the eye controller bone which means Im unable to perent it to the eyes rendering me unable to controll them.

does any one know how to fix this without me having to start over?
many thanks

First question, did you generate the rig (ideally with the upgraded face rig first) and then parent that to the model?

Or did you make the common mistake and just linked the base metarig, which is only used to place the main bones and then create the actual animation rig, at which point the metarig is hidden (don’t ever delete the metarig, you’ll need it if you ever want to re-generate the main rig again).

So, assuming you have the actual main rig generated, the ‘attaching’ the eye isn’t too hard, but you do need to be a little careful on the exact steps. As luck would have it, I made a video for that.

It’s was made with Blender before version 4 and bone ‘collections’ layers, but I have a pined note about that and once you show the DEF layer, all else pretty much works the same.

this is the video i was following and im fairly sure that i followed the steps correctly its just that the bone he uses to controll the eyes and when in pose mode there no displayed controller

if you want i could send a pic of the metarig if you wanna see the missing bone or screenshots of the different visuals in pose mode but im not sure how helpfull it would be.

OK, so he weight paints it all, even the eye’s, which is a more heavy way to do it compared to mine, but both work.

A screenshot of the face in pose mode with all layers (N panel) visible would help.

But I take it that some or all of the face animation controls are missing compared to his video or even a default Rigify generation.

An easy way to confirm this, is in a new file, add the metarig, upgrade the face and generate, you should see the full rig and if you compare to yours, likely notice things missing. If that is the case, then there was an error when you did the generate and I’ll bet this was caused when you moved the face bones around on the metarig.

A few bones on the face are not directly connected, as in the bone wasn’t extruded out as a continuous chain. Instead they are just sitting on top of each other. A classic spot is the mouth corner. The top and bottom lip aren’t connected and neither are the other bones that intersect there, so you can move them apart. DO NOT DO THIS.

Rigify expects and needs these bones to sit directly on top of each other, if they aren’t, the generate rig will error out and most of the face controls will not appear. The eye corners are another classic error spot.

So check this (compare it to an unedited metarig if need be) and re-snap any back into the same spot.

here’s what my rig looks like.
compared to theres there’s no oval shape control infront of the face which would control the eye

if it’s just because I either set it up wrong (which isnt unlikly) or it generated wrong or something like that it probably means ill have to delete it and start again but id rather not have to undo all my work
Im still kinda hoping someone knows how to fix it without starting over but knowing my luck ill probably have to.

In Pose Mode, press ALT H (unhide all) to make sure it didn’t get hidden.

un fortunatly its not hidden.

there is just no bone its so weird

Hi, could it be hiding inside the head cavity? or it is further away from the face then should be?
Try zooming out.

You could use the search function at the top of the outliner. Try typing ‘eye’ into that field and see what happens. Bones will have a green bone icon next to the name.

If you can find it in the outliner, then you can select it there and in the 3D view, hit period key on your numpad to zoom in on it.

If that don’t work, upload the file.

Randy

That was actually one of the things I was wonder about.

My other question would require seeing the metarig. Making sure that the actual eye placement bone is still there for each eye and more or less in the correct spot.

it wont let me upload my file cause im new

Try “WeTransfer” or other free file sharing application.

this is the metarig.
there’s no bone in the center of the eye which to my understanding is what is missing and needed.
it is also worth noting that everthing is unhidden so its not that.

im completely baffled as to why and am really hoping for a solution e.g. how to manually add it back in something like that but i may just have to bite the bullet and re rig it

So use a file hosting service and post a link to the file.

Randy

Edit - out of curiosity I just added a metarig in an empty scene and deleted the eye bones, then I tried generating the rig. This failed as I expected it to, so the eye bones had to be in the metarig or you couldn’t have generated the rig.

1 Like

if fairly sure of that too cause i cant think of another cause
anyway here’s a link (hopefully) to the file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l25cwnpn0m8rhox/john_stewart.blend/file

Hi, If the eyes bone missing you can delete the rigify rig and all the controls, then duplicate in edit mode one of the eyebrows bones place it in the right place for both sides and name it: ORG-eye.R , ORG-eye.L then you can regenerate the rig that should do it.
What Randy says is correct you can not generate the rigify rig without these bones.

This didn’t work, or I couldn’t get it to work in the example file provided.

@somebritishartist You are correct, the eye bones are missing from the metarig and they are also missing from the generated rig as well. Very odd that the bones are missing from both rigs. You can’t generate a rig with missing metarig bones, so I don’t know how this happened to you.

Sorry don’t have more time right now, have to get to work…

Randy

Edit: the file is too big to attach here, think it’s a 10MB file size limit.

Sorry, I should have specified the right bone to duplicate and re name. look at the screenshot:

Well, that would explain it then, at some point you deleted the eye bones from the metarig without realizing it.

Chances are that is going to take a bit of messing and playing around with to try and put those bones back.

If digitvisions solution doesn’t work, then the next likely best option would just be to add another metarig and scale/move/snap the new metarig bones to be the same as the current one.

Then in the Advanced section of the Rigify panel, change the names of the Rig/script, etc in the Overwrite part to be the same as the ones you initial have and Re-Generate.

Once you check it all worked, you can then delete the initial metarig and just use the new one.

ok so I decided to bite the bullet and restarted. got rid of the metarig and started over completely from scratch

so ive re rigged every thing knowing that it spawned in correctly but once i generated the rig… there is no controlls??? ok so I undo as far as blender allows me to and boom i can see the soposed bone that im missing. i go to click it so i can mover it out the way ( In case it accidentely do something to it) and it dissapears??? ok? so i Ctr Z, ooh it’s back ok noww click and its gone again?!

so now im at a point where i can soposedly see the thing i need but the second i click the screen to do ANYTHING!!.. it disapears, for no reason. its not hidden. it was there! i checked when i spawned it.

i am soo confused.

here is what im seeing
its right there in the center but as soon as i do anything it disapears