Rigging a Book Cover: How to?

So, I am currently working on a 3d book that will flip open. I currently have the pages working perfectly. Now, I am running into problems with having a hard cover flip open. The problem I am running into, by breaking the cover into Front, spine, and Back, is that when I use rigging bones, I cannot seem to get the weight correct where it does not distort my model. Any suggestions?

Effectively, I need to get a “box” to open up by rotating at the edges. I tried just animating rotating the cover and spine on their own to no avail.

Got it sorted out.

Problems/solutions were:

1. I ended up using a plane and Solidify modifier. Trying to do it with an extrusion was too much a pain.

2. I forgot to take into account the Pivot Center when building my cover.

3. I realized that I had to be very particular about which vertices I attached the bones to so that way my creases and edges of the hard cover moved correctly.

4. It was easiest to build the cover as if it were closed. Then I flattened the object, as if it were open, before adding the bones. Bones were added without any weight, and I manually had to add selections to them. Again, what edge was selected made a big difference. In the end, it worked great.

you can focuse on creating bones for the pages that going to be fliped,
of course your not going to flip all the pages, maybe 3 or 6, pages, just fix thim and ignore the rest

The flipped pages were actually the easy part. I had heck of a time getting the bones to work correctly on my hard cover, but a lot of that was user error.

Now I have to figure out a good method to control how I can curl/roll up some papers, not in the book, but I cannot seem to get the material to move in the manner I want. I want it to displace in specific parts before sharply rolling up. The bend function and a few other options I tinkered with were not severe enough or did it in the wrong parts of the page. I think it’ll probably come down to using some physic simulations or something to displace in the areas I want when I want it.

ok have you concederd using softbody or clothis

Currently what I am testing.

1 Like

Would you happen to have a suggestion as to how I can make it look like the page density increases as the pages flip? I’m looping the pages flipping, now I have to figure out how to make it look like number of pages moved from the left to the right increases.

if your using the array modefire thin you can animate it, just make the left part separated from the right part pages and animate ther arrays

Sorry, I couldn’t resist :blush:

https://i.imgur.com/VzxJsaX.png

(I take the :door: )

2 Likes

i know i am bad at eng, :slight_smile: