Rigging and unwanted scalings

This gold object is connected to this bone as shown in the diagram. I have parented this object with empty wights and I manually assigned the gold object to this particular bone. When I rotate it on the y-axis, for some the scale of it changes as well as shown in the bottom diagram.

What do I do to stop this gold object from changing the scale?

Try applying the rotation and scale each to the bone and the object.
(Ctrl+A , choose “Rotation & Scale”)

1 Like

This is what I see now I am not getting the Rotation and Scale option?

Sorry. Try applying rotation and scale to the bone in Object mode.
Also in pose mode in the pose menu there is an option to “clear transform” I think this is also used to set the pose as a beginning pose.

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

When you say clear transform do you mean by pressing alt r and alt g?

I did do that and it did not make a difference :thinking:

Yep Alt + G, Alt + R , Alt + S

Any chance you could post a blend file with just the bone and the gold item.

1 Like

So I deleted every single object but not the bones. If I did delete all the bones expect for the one that controls the gold object, then it will rotate just fine. But with all the other bones in place, this for some reason causes the gold object to change its scale while it rotates. I am not too sure why this happens. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Gold winder.blend (622.2 KB)

Ok. I hope I’m right. But I’m not very knowledgeable about mesh deformations. It appears you have used the armature deformation. Whereas you probably should have parented the winder to the bone.
Clear the armature modifier, go to constraints and add a “child of” constraint and make the winder a child of the armature and in particular of the “Winder” bone.Gold winderFixed.blend (622.4 KB)

I have uploaded the parented winder (Child of “Winder” bone in Armature).
Have a look at the constraints in the properties window.

1 Like

I did parent the winder to the bone as empty weights, is that not what I am supposed to do?

What Armature modifier are you talking about?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

There doesn’t appear to be a constraint applied am I missing something?

The constraint is applied to the gold winder. You have the bone highlighted.
Highlight the winder itself and you can see it’s constrained to the bone.

I see thanks for your help, one last question, because this winder was part of an entire object, do I apply the constraint to the entire object, am I able to apply the constraint just to the winder by selecting parts of the object in edit mode?

I would suggest separating the winder from the object (“P” in edit mode). As your bone is a part of the armature, and I’m sure your main object moves with the armature, the winder will still move with the object as if it is a part of it.

1 Like

Do you understand why is it scaling the object for no reason?

Doh ! I just found out that your original setup does work if you check the “Preserve Volume” option.

It’s probably to do with the connection of the entire armature and the twisting that would occur (like in twisting your forearm). I suppose the “preserve volume” option stops that.
Not sure.

Anyone out there can explain ??

1 Like

Oh I see thanks bro :slight_smile:

I just tested it out and that is all I had to check to resolve this issue

Do you have any idea when I want to rotate 90 degrees, it only rotates 45 degrees but if I rotate 180 degrees then it rotates 90 degrees?

Also do you know that if I rotate the winder in one animation but I create another animation for walking, can I combine the 2 animations if I export this to Unity?

I don’t think so. I kind of lost track of Unity a few years back. But I’m pretty sure that you can import your key separately and parent it to your model in Unity and add a transform script to make it rotate locally. But this is probably a question for Unity Answers. I think unity has some advanced animation features now.

1 Like