Rigging Car Suspension

How would I set something like this up simply? This video demonstrates Rigacar’s Suspension. The hierarchy is too complex for me to understand what is happening. When any of the Dampers move, it rotates the Suspension.

Thank you!

You need to look at the hierarchy, constraints, and drivers. Can’t tell you just from the video.

Turning off bone shapes and turning on axes will probably help if you want to look more. Bone shapes make it hard to see the actual bone origins.

I can say, if I was making this, I would probably make four middle bones (by copy location constraint at 0.5 influence) and then use those as the targets of locked track constraints on the central bone.

1 Like

This is the Rig.
Rigacar_Suspension.blend (1.4 MB)

The Dampers are children of a GroundSensor bone which sits on the ground.

The mother ‘Suspension’ Bone is the child of “MCH-Axis” bone which has two Transformation constraints that Map the X Rotations to the Ft & Bk Axes Y Rotation.

The parent of the “MCH-Axis” bone is the “MCH-Suspension.Ft” bone, which has two constraints: a Copy Location and a Track To Constraint:

You need to look at all the targets of the constraints as well.

A file is the way to show it all.

1 Like

Think about it…if one tire drops into a hole, what happens to the body?

Also if actually rigged to a vehicle they won’t be pulling away from the vehicle ( like you are doing by grabbing and moving them) but compressing or expanding ( pushing or pulling the vehicle body/tires) depending on terrain.

Thank you for the reply. I am a little confused by your meaning though.

First, if the tire drops into a hole…what is your point? I’d expect the tire to drop, then the body to follow with a damping.

Next, what do you mean by ‘they’: the tires? If so, you’re right, they do compress and expand, but they also DO move independently of the vehicles which is what the Dampers rig allows.

Finally, what was the point of the Create Car Rig Easily video? I already am using Rigacar. That’s what was used to make the rig in my video.

You showed grabbing the damper and wondering why the suspension rotated, that was your question, right?

You just basically answered your own question. My point was you were grabbing the damper and moving it by an extreme amount, and the suspension rotated ( dampening being defeated because you moved the damper in pose mode and were not allowing the tire to control damping)

True they are each independent, but they are also constrained in that they pull and push the dampers which in turn pushes and pulls the body…

That is what is used in the video I shared…it is how to set up everything for the Rigacar addon…You asked …

That’s the point of the video…that is how you set this up simply…

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply to all of that. I think my questions weren’t clear.

I am looking to set up a similar suspension to Rigacar without using Rigacar.

Thank you for the video and answers.

Yeah, I kind thought that was on your mind, but really Rigacar makes it so much simpler than trying to rig by hand…or spending $$ on a better plugin…like CarRigPro

or the RBC-Physics Based Car Rig

Good Luck and Happy Blending!

1 Like

Rigacar, unfortunately, doesn’t work completely in 3.6. The Bake Car Steering and Bake Wheels Rotation are broken.

Also, I sent the CarRigPro author a message on BlenderMarket to ask if it’s compatible with 3.6 (as it’s currently only listed as supporting 3.2), but never heard back.

I tried the free version of RBC-Physics Based Car Rig too, but I found it very unintuitive to animate using the Drive and Steering float sliders instead of more precise transform keyframes.

That’s why I’m trying to rig the car myself.

EDIT: I’m looking into the Pro version of RBC-Physics Based Car Rig and using Guide Objects with Guide Paths may be the solution.

Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

There a great video for rigging a car yourself, from the rbc creator himself and another person. When i find then ill post them