Rigging Toolbox (alpha)

Hello everyone…

I’ve been rigging and creating models with blender for a few years now… As a hobby so far. And I love about every feature in blender so far… But there are some downfalls that annoy me to the core sometimes.

So I started making some tools for myself to make the process easier and decided to make a collection of the most useful ones. So here’s 4 of them bundled together in a rigging toolbox. I grouped up all the info in here: http://niko40.blogspot.fi/2012/10/rigging-toolbox-alpha.html

Direct download link: http://ubuntuone.com/3WgWIq7Zin8PLsy0NiUVLP

So, tell me how do you like it, what is good, what isn’t, what should I add and what should I remove. All ideas and thoughts are accepted. :smiley:

this looks great

i’ll try it out when I can.

Will you be trying to get it as a default addon in blender?
I’m always hesitant trying out new stuff which will fail to be supported after a few new Blender versions

And if I can make a suggestion
Bone rename tools (but if possible also with the flexibility to extend to multiple selected objects…)

Prefix/suffix / right/ left/ remove a string/ replace a string … It’s a giant pain to rename rigs with lotsof bones (tails,long spines,squid arms…)

Edit so I tried it out quickly

1. apply bone shape works,kinda,but it screws the placement of the object up. It’s all over the place.
    2)Rig debug seems nice,will have to test more. Useful unnamed bone finder
    3)Show relations is the most useful one for now

really handy

-)perhaps would be nice that if you press ctrl+click you could edit the bone name from there
-)Perhaps an option to also show siblings ,not only parent and children?
-)it doesn’t show the name of a constraint or the nature of it, or is that not supposed to be how it works?

First of all, thank you for the feedback. :slight_smile:

I do plan to get it on the official blender eventually. I also plan to keep it updated if it gets to the official blender release.

Bone rename tools (but if possible also with the flexibility to extend to multiple selected objects…)

Prefix/suffix / right/ left/ remove a string/ replace a string … It’s a giant pain to rename rigs with lotsof bones (tails,long spines,squid arms…)

I was thinking about this… Not really sure how to implement it so that it would suit most people. There already is a real basic bone rename tool in blender and rigify can make human armatures with basic names already, so I don’t consider this to be high priority. I’ll see what I can think of it in the future.

1. apply bone shape works,kinda,but it screws the placement of the object up. It’s all over the place.

The object origin is positioned to the bone root joint. This is how blender works with bone shapes and is unfortunately out of my control. Object origin must be moved and rotated to make it perfectly overlap with the shape.

2)Rig debug seems nice,will have to test more. Useful unnamed bone finder

Please let me know of any problems. :slight_smile: It’s far from complete though and I would recommend not trusting it at this point. Unnamed bone finder does work well enough but more testing is needed on this.

-)perhaps would be nice that if you press ctrl+click you could edit the bone name from there

Worth a try… I’ll see what I can do.

-)Perhaps an option to also show siblings ,not only parent and children?

Shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll do that.

-)it doesn’t show the name of a constraint or the nature of it, or is that not supposed to be how it works?

I can’t think of any scenarios where that would be usefull… I’ll think about that, perhaps add an extra dropdown info panel for each bone.

Thanks on the reply. I’ll write a memo for now… I’ll work on it whenever I have enough free time on my hands… Propably in this weekend. :slight_smile: