Rigging with separated parts

Hi everyone,
I’m having some trouble trying to rig a character, the character is made of 5 parts: shirt, arms, head, pants and shoes. I want to rig them all at once, I mean if the shoulder of the arms move, the shoulder of the shirt should move too, but I don’t know how to go about this, since armatures apply to one object only as far as I’m concerned. I don’t know if I explain myself at all so I attach my .blend file. Hope you can help. This character is for a game I’m planning and so I’d like the rig to be portable I mean I want to make some kind of clothes system with wich I can interchange shirts for example leaving the rest of the character as is, but I don’t know if this is the right way to go neither or if it would be better to join all the objects into one, but that would make it impossible to get the clothes system to work I think… well maybe I’m a bit confused.
Thank you in advance :wink:

Skate.blend (401 KB)

If your interested we have an auto rigging system online that can handle exactly this type of situation nicely!

Head over to:

http://www.mixamo.com/c/auto-rigger

If you try it post us a little feedback :smiley:

thank you very much, but I would like to do this with blender and I would like to know how to do it even if I can’t do it and I have to merge every part into the same mesh…
Anyone?
Thank you in advance.

There should be no problem using one armature to deform several meshes at the same time. Just parent each mesh to your armature (choosing automatic weights to get you a good start on your vertex weight assignments).

Parent every object to the armature good idea, I tried parenting every object to the object which had the armature but didn’t work but that sounds logical, thank you I’ll try that out and mark as solved if I get what I expected :wink:

EDIT: ok it works… I feel soooo stupid now, lol… was just a matter of applying armature modifier to the rest of the objects. Thank you very much! :wink: