Rigid body collision on simple objects

I am starting out with animation and physics but can’t get my head around the rigid body configuration.
I have created what seems like a simple object. On top of that object I place a simple cube.

The stairs object is a passive rigid body with convex hull shape and the cube is an active rigid body with box shape.

When I start the animation my small cube launches away from the stairs instead of staying in place…

I tried with multiple configuration by changing the rigid body of the stairs to mesh and cube to convex hull. I tried playing with the collision margin but nothing seems to work…

I also set the steps per second to 500 in the rigid body world.

What am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

domino.blend (1.58 MB)

When I start the animation my small cube launches away from the stairs instead of staying in place…
What does this mean ?
What are you wanting this cube to do ?
Why have you not supplied a blend file for review ?

Sorry… Blend file is attached in original post.

I basically want the cube to stay on top of the stairs and not fly off.

I basically want to put a domino block on every stair but when I do so, the blocks don’t remain on their spot, they just fall down.
I tried playing with the collision margin, putting the blocks a bit higher but nothing seems to work.
I can’t seem to get them stable and don’t know what I am doing wrong…

I did a bit more testing and this is what I did so far…

1. Realigned the origin to the center of mass of all my objects
  2. Change the friction of my domino blocks to .8 which seemed to help a bit
  3. Set the stairs Rigid body collision shape to mesh and sensitivity to 1mm
  4. Set the collision margin of my domino blocks to 1mm
  5. Removed all unused objects because they were interfering with the physics engine and location.

This all seemed to help a bit but strangely enough on most stairs the domino blocks seem to be stable but on some stairs, the domino block just falls over from frame 1.

I basically made the same changes to your file as you stated in your last post and it is working OK. Did you make sure you have Collision Margin selected on your dominoes.
domino1.blend (1.88 MB)

Don’t use convex hull collision shape for anything complex…