Rigid body simulation not working

I am trying to make cacao beans fall into an animated roasting machine. All objects have been modelled and animated, however the rigid bodies are not falling INTO the roasting machine. The machine is a rigid body, set to passive and animated, and the beans are all rigid bodies set to active and dynamic. Can anyone please help with this issue?

The beans are animated? The rigid body has to know at which key it has to take over.

The beans are not animated, only the dynamic box is checked and I have randomized transformation and rigid body simulation applied

The “Roaster” collection has three parts; the middle cylinder in the middle, the animated moving part of the roaster and the outside frame of the machine

I would first test it with one bean for performance and ease of use.

Something is calculated, since the brown line in the timeline suggests that. You always need to start from the beginning of the cache of the simulation to calculate it.

Rigid body is also special since the cache settings are in the scene prop tab and not under the physics tab.

Have you changed anything else, or just added the rigid body to the bean?

1 Like

I will try test it with one bean - thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I baked the whole thing once to try to see the whole simulation and run it through - I am guessing deleting this will make the simulation look different now that I have made changes since that bake.

I have only added the rigid body and rigid body constraint…

i would recommend providing a blend file so we can help you precisely…

Unfortunately as I am a new user I cant upload files :confused:

You can use wetransfer or something…

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wnPH7nKglES-j_sjqLFnm3Aki6st91At?usp=sharing appreciate the help :slight_smile:

Hi,

how big is the roaster? Rigid body sims doesn’t work properly, when the elements in the scene are to small. When you’re working with realistic scales like 5mm for a bean for instance, it’s very likely, that the sim will not work well.

Best regards
Dennis

Hey,
Thanks for the tip. The roaster is around 20m in diameter and each bean is ca. 1m wide. So, they are unrealistically scaled but definitely not too small… Would it make more sense to scale them down?

I found 2 problems in this scene

When I remove the rigid body physics on the beans, their position defaults to a pile on the ground. It seems that at some point, you have applied the rigid bodies’ position or their visual transform when they were in the middle of the simulation and now their starting position is on the ground. This isn’t immediately visible, because there is a cache baked in the file in which the beans are in the air, but if you delete that cache or remove the rigid bodies, you will see the beans are actually really on the ground.

The solution would be to re-create the beans at the correct starting point in mid air and make sure never to apply transform on them after you have simulated physics.

The second problem is the roaster seems to have bugged collision. I could not figure out why, but removing and recreating the passive rigid body on the object seems to fix it.

i think it is because he renamed and/or recreated the rigid body collection, which is never a good idea (except you know exactly what you are doing and which consequences it has).
Also you should never start a rigid body simulation, when rigid bodies are already colliding with each other - this will always cause weird “explosions”. e.g. your cylinder collides already with your beans in the beginning as well as your rotating “thing”.

3 Likes

Makes sense, the best approach may just be to create a new separate file and redo it.

You mentioned not applying transform on the rigid bodies after simulation - I would like the beans to fall in a natural way, where the positioning isnt so uniform, which is why I had applied randomised transform. So at what point would I have to apply that in order to not run into problems?

randomize transform should not be a problem. The thing that will make you lose your initial position is “apply visual transform”. If you do that while the rigid bodies are mid simulation, their current position on screen is going to permanently become their new starting point.

I thought you may have done that, but maybe what happened is more in line with what @Blender_Fun1 pointed out.

It worked! Thank you guys so much :smile:

2 Likes