Rigify, add bones to a generated rig

Hello all. I have a small question.

I’ve generated a rig with rigify, done all the weight painting corrections on the bones. But now I would like to add/extrude new or existing bone(s) for a more detailed mesh control, lets say for example to hair.

My question is, what is the best way to add a bone to your rig, keeping in mind, I would like to:

1. Preserve my rigify controllers or update my controllers to the new bone(s) ?
  2. If generating a new rig, I would like to preserve all my weight painting, how would I apply them to bones in mass ?

Thank you for your time.

If you will add any bone to generated rigify rig, then if you will regenerate metarig all added bones will be erased. If you want to add bones to rigify you should add them inside metarig. But you have to tell rigify what type of bone you are adding. Add bone to metarig, go to pose mode select your bone, go to bone properties on right panel, scroll down to Rigify Type and there you can choose what type your bone should be. For basic bone it’s good to use basic.super_copy type. Enable Deform option to get deformation bone with “DEF-” prefix, also you can enable control - it will add control bone in rigify rig for your bone. Relink constraint option used to transfer bone constraints to rigify. After regenerating you will get all needed bones including deformation. Then you can weight paint your new bone (“DEF-”).

3 Likes