Rigify crashes Blender?

I had the character and the rigging in right view, decided to check the “Mirror Editing” box in the toolshelf and that shut the program down faster than clicking the Red X. I thought this would be a good issue to bring up.

I’m running XP pro 32 on 2.5GHz dual core Intel. 4Gb RAM NVIDIA card with 2GbRAM. In case that matters. I know I need to upgrade to 64bit OS.

Is this one of those things I’ll need to be certain I saved prior to checking that box?

XP at this point is just barely supported, as I understand it. What version of Blender are you using?

2.66a

I had the machine running for 48 hours straight, which normally shouldn’t be a problem… unless there just might be a worm in the machine.

I’ll try it again.

You might also try a more recent Blender. New releases generally have stability improvements over the old.

That’s a possibility. I have 2.67 on this laptop.

I still am getting the same “trace…” error message when adding the armature, only in edit mode. If I add the armature in object mode, then edit the armature, I’m doing well, as in using the X-Axis Mirror function. The question I have, because of that, involves parenting. Another thing is the tut I’m learning from is version 2.5. Has this addition method changed since?

If you’re trying to add an armature in Edit mode, that’s not right anyway. Why are you trying to add things in Edit mode? With Rigify, this is the procedure:

• Add the metarig in object mode
  • Go to Edit mode and rearrange the metarig’s bones. Just move, rotate, and scale. Don’t add or delete bones. Does the crash occur at this stage? Are you going to the Tool panel and checking the X-Axis Mirror tool under Armature Options?
  • Go back to Object mode and generate the Rigify armature. Either hit Space, then type “Generate” and pick the option from the menu, or go over to the Properties Window and use the Generate button there.

If you do that, everything should be fine. Are you doing something other than those steps?

As I mentioned, the tut is for 2.5. That tut said add the rig in edit mode.

As of the moment, I just hit the generate button and it did.

Now what?

Can you point me at this tutorial? Adding an armature object in Edit mode doesn’t even make any sense.

So you’ve generated the Rigify armature. It didn’t crash this time? In that case, you’re all set to parent with automatic weights, do any weight tweaking that might be necessary, and move on with animation and whatnot.

I’ll see if I can find it on YouTube

I saved the blend file t the point where it had generated the rig, then tried what the tut suggested, except it mentioned removing the armature from the model. Because I had generated the rig before dong that, I left it in place. I suppose I need step by step from here.

I brought up the green bones, hit “a” then ctrl + p and selected automatic weight paint…

Nothing moves.

Here’s the tut:

In that video, he’s in Object mode when he adds the metarig. Still not sure where you got the Edit mode thing from. He’s also in Object mode when he hits the Generate button at 9:40. The step he takes before that, where he moves the metarig out of the way, is not strictly necessary; it’s just visually convenient not to have a bunch of stuff overlapping. I usually don’t move the metarig before generating. I keep my mesh on Layer 1 and the metarig on Layer 2. Then when I generate, the Rigify armature will also be on Layer 2, and I just move the metarig onto some other layer that I’m not using. That way it’s saved and kept in the right location in case I need to go back and make tweaks and re-generate for some reason.

If automatic weighting isn’t producing any movement on the mesh, you have probably just run up against a minor bug in the auto weighting process. Delete the mesh’s armature modifier and go to Edit mode. Select all and hit Ctrl-N. Then tab back into Object mode, put the armature back in Pose mode, and redo the auto weights. Should work then.

Okay.

I don’t know if you listened to the narrator (I had to use headphones to hear him.) but he said go into edit mode… unless this isn’t the same tut I have saved to my machine.

That all seems to make sense. What I’ll do is make a new file with the same object figure and go back over it again. I was wondering if I could use different layers, but was concerned it might throw of the script somehow.

BTW… thanks for the input. It’s appreciated. Wish me luck.

Just watch what he does. Whatever he may say, he’s in Object mode both times. I stopped paying attention to what he said because he was droning on and umming a lot and kept going back to fiddle with things instead of giving useful instructions.

Good luck.

Okay…

I’m really paying more attention to you right now.

I have the mesh on layer 3, the metarig on layer 2 and generated the rig on layer 1. When I press ctrl-n, it offers me to load a new file…

BTW… watching the tut is aggravating to someone wearing bifocals… especially when they aren’t wearing the things and it still won’t focus.

I’ll watch it again. Any other tuts available? Perhaps threads that have step by step procedures?

Luckily, I saved the file as a precursor so I don’t have to keep adjusting finger bones…
I can just pull that up, “save as” and go from there.

You missed a step in my instructions. Go to Edit mode on the mesh, select all, Ctrl-N. You’re recalculating the normals of the mesh. Ctrl-N in Object mode is new file. In Edit mode it recalculates vertex normals outside.

Rigify honestly is pretty simple. That interminable video is less tutorial and more demo. It’s not really necessary. I’ve given you a step by step here in this thread already. I’ll repeat it though:

• Finish your mesh. Make sure it’s rotations and scales are applied with Ctrl-A in Object mode.
  • Shift-A>Armature>Human Metarig
  • Put the metarig in Edit mode and adjust all the bones to suit your mesh
  • Go back to Object mode and hit the Generate button in the Armature Data tab. This creates the Rigify Armature.
  • Move your metarig somewhere safe but out of the way, in case you need to revert to an earlier step for some reason
  • Select your mesh in Object mode, and a bone of the Rigify Armature in Pose Mode. Hit Ctrl-P>With Automatic Weights.
  • If auto weights just creates a bunch of blank vertex groups (i.e. there is no error message, but the armature doesn’t move the mesh), this is a known minor bug in the weighting system. Simple to fix though: delete the mesh’s armature modifier, then go to Edit mode. Select all, then hit Ctrl-N to recalculate normals. Back to Object mode and re-do step 6.

I’ve been following right along.

Maybe this is an error I’ve made on the DAZ export end and/or possibly something on the Blender import end.

I’ve tried ctrl-N after deleting the control rig, then going into Edit mode. No dice.

Could this possibly have anything to do with double faces?

That did something different but not what we are hoping. Something I’ve noticed is the modifier rig (if I’m referring to that correctly) is not aligned to the mesh. Originally I scaled the armature to the mesh. Could that be the problem?

I think you misunderstand. Go into Edit mode on the mesh. Then hit A to select all (you may have to hit it twice if you already had something selected). Then hit Ctrl-N. It if still tries to open a new file, you’re not in Edit mode.

Words are so clumsy. That’s why we do visual art.

I did that in edit mode. The first time it did basically nothing. Then I ctrl-z’d till I was back to mesh and armature. I went into the mesh object data and turned off double sided. THEN upon returning to edit, the ctrl-n did as it should.

When watching the tut again, (I’ll watch again to be certain) I noticed all the bones appear to be inside the mesh. On mine, they aren’t. If this is a problem of matching the mesh scale to the armature, then that might explain thngs. If not, then I’d likely be best to try some leaner settings on the export.

At this point, I can create quite a few models, even foliage, in Blender. Once I get over this rigging hump, I’ll likely be on to doing some serious work. I’ll likely do a good bit of creating characters right in Blender, still DAZ is convenient as long as it works well. I’ve heard others say it does. I’ve heard others who use Blender to create or modify, then rig and render in DAZ. I’m really preferring Blender because it has the dynamic hair, so here I are.

I guess I should have clarified, Ctrl-N recalculates normals, and your mesh’s normals are already probably fine. This is just a workaround for a bug. Sometimes automatic weighting fails to produce anything but empty vertex groups. It seems to be something to do with some error checking step that it takes before assigning weights. Recalculating normals just before auto-weighting seems to get around this bug. You won’t see a visible difference when you do it, because your mesh is most likely problem-free already. But ctrl-p should work as expected after doing it, whether you see any difference or not.

If it’s still not working, just post your .blend file and I’ll have a look at it. Maybe there’s some other less obvious problem.

Ahhh, but there was a difference with double sided unchecked. Suddenly shading showed up. In edit mode, I actually watched the surface beneath the mesh shuffle. I can’t say it did anything meaningful.

I will do that. If I need to upload the blend file, that I couldn’t do till tomorrow because this laptop has all USB slots filled. I’ll likely port the new version to the other machine then as well.

Thanks for being patient with me. For some reason, I doubt if this is the first time you’ve had a similar discussion… :slight_smile: