Rigify: IK arm bends the wrong way

My Ik arm is bending the wrong way.

In Maya, if I wanted to correct the “Preferred Ik bend Angle” I can RMB and set the preferred bend angle.

Does Blender have a system similar to set the preferred IK bend angle?

Bruh i thought you already see that from the tutorials… Anyways just bend/rotate the forearm to the direction you want in your metarig (it shouldn’t look straight) and regenerate.

Hey you don’t have to be petty about giving an answer :wink: no matter how common it might be.

In Blender, the bend direction is set by bending the rig in the rest pose (what you see in edit mode). Ideally, you should also make sure the bending is in only one axis (I find two-axes bends less predictable).
If you use a rig generator like Rigify, that bend is often made in the rig generator itself, which is the “metarig” in Rigify.

3 Likes

As a side-note, the bend can be tiny. It just needs to exist.

An easy way to add a bit of rotation on the lower arm is do it in Pose Mode on the metarig, then set that as the rest pose for that bone and the other affected bones down the arm.

• Pick the lower arm, and add a small rotation (eg: Press r x 0.0001 follow that with minus, if it needs to bend the other way). That’s assuming the rotation axis is on x, otherwise you’ll use r z 0.0001
  • Set the updated position as the rest pose from the menu Pose > Apply > Apply Pose as Rest Pose

You can do the same thing on just the lower arm bone in Edit Mode too. Set the Transform Orientation to Normal, and the Transform Pivot to Individual Origins. Then the same rotation amount will work there too.

3 Likes

wasnt trying to lol. she or he has a long time watching and asking about rigify content so therefore my pun

1 Like

I understand, MichaelBenDavid.
Thank you very much, L0Lock. :muscle:
Thank you very much, Magpie. :pray: MagPie, I hope you get a chance to create a Blender YouTube channel with Blender tutorials. You have helped me out many times in the Blender forums.

2 Likes

Everything’s good then x)

2 Likes