Riverside life

Live hidden away in a forest, along a small river… not in a real village, but rather in a cluster of houses.
The scene include 2 simple terrains (1 core, 1 background), modeled in Gaea and texturized and populated in Blender 3.2 (Render Cycles).
The scene was populated with 8 (7+1) eco-systems (by ParticleSystems).
If you want to see more pictures go: here

43 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

…feel the boredom. Enjoy the unemployment. Rejoice in the neighbour’s dumb gossip and their backward way of thinking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sorry, but there are so many artworks based off of the same old romanticist picturesque klischées which are all very similar and usually either show a river or some form of secluded cabin in the woods, I coudn’t resist mocking it a bit.

From a technical and strictly aesthetical point of view though, it’s well done. I like the lighting and the composition. The only thing which sticks out a bit are the roofs. They look very flat and very much like textured planes, that feels a little sloppy/rushed.

greetings, Kologe

hi kologe,
I fully agree with you on the classic and typical Klischè…
but if nothing else it gives you an easy starting point, which then never realizes the starting model, but you have the freedom to go from a completely different direction.
This was my starting point:

Finally keep in mind that I create 3D scenes and not images, so the design of my scene starts from an image but then it has to become a whole 3D scene (also inventing and realizing what is not seen in the reference image). And that’s the beauty!!!

PS - the roof tiles are just textures, …actually all my models are low poly (I still have a very old PC).

hi! a very pretty scene, but just one thought about the scale: if you look at your reference the stair leading to the river seem standard, so about 20 centimeters high per step. Comparing that to the scale of the house on the left (closest one), the window is like 40 centimeters off the ground. Its scale makes sense with the rest of the house, so I think that the houses are quite too small (about 2/3 of the size they should be, roughly). Happy rendering!

Hi Ducky,
really, the size of the objects in the scene and the scene itself is an issue…
I try to solve it with a good deal of common sense, but hardly with precision.

actually, to correct myself, the only thing that id say is an “issue”, if you wanna call it that, is that the stairs leading to the river are quite big – the houses themselves are fine. Comparing the steps to those is the reference pic, I think its quite obvious that the scale is strange.

I see. On the other hand, if you’d instance a simple roof tile object, it might still end up surprisingly easy on your rendertimes (due to the instancing). Just a thought though.

greetings, Kologe

I’d like to make a new and improved version of these houses (including the procedural tiles).
If I find the time, I will.

Hi everyone,

Here is the “Behind the Scenes” article for this picturesque artwork!

Do check out this article, written by the artist himself. It describes the step-by-step process of creating the artwork and provides insight into environment designing in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn