RoadRaisins short film

@schwaberry, Andreu, DaliFire Thanks for the comments!

Yeah we did have some problems with the character animations partly due to an unfinished rig. I can’t comment much on the animation though as I only animated 2 interior shots. But the ones I animated surely need more work.

The grass is achieved with particle systems and empties with wind physics as you say. There are some wind empties in the scene causing the field movement and some small grass variation. I also animated a few empties to move with the bus causing the grass to move as the bus passes by.

The trees have a simple modeled and textured trunk with a lot of twisted and squewed planes textured with 2 different kinds of branch textures. (Only one branch texture per tree though) The branch textures have alpha values as you also correctly guessed. The trees have a bend simple deform modifier + an empty at the root as origin. The values of the deform modifier are animated for different amounts for the different trees. Then I added a cycle modifier in the graph editor and a noise modifier to add some additional small variation to the movements. When completed I linked the trees in to the bigger scene. There are 6 different kinds of trees just rotated and scaled to add variation. It worked ok for such a simple trick I guess. I can post more screens if you wish.

Thanks for the C&C and keep them coming!

Ben

Attachments

I liked it, so did my girlfriend, and I shared it on my facebook page too :slight_smile: Loved the environment, and the story was funny. Only thing that stood out to me was the way the steering wheel was polygon instead of round - I drive a yard hostler sometimes and we don’t have any non-round steering wheels. Other than that, top notch job!

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it.

Funny you should mention the steering wheel, someone at blendernation said the exact same thing.

It isn’t modeled by me so I hadn’t really thought about it but I guess she wanted to stylize it a bit. But you’re right it does look a bit lowpoly even though it has 2 iterations of subsurf. I’ll upload a pic of it later.

Perhaps it was intended to be a “custom” steering wheel then :wink: Still like it though, and I appreciate the insight with the wires and examples of the scene to get a feel of what it took for the animation and modeling!

Weeell, hard to add something useful to all that was said above, I also really liked the tree, and the way you completed them.
I must try your tricks.
Top job, guys, congratulations !!!

Thanks for sharing your process Ben . Excellent Job. :slight_smile:

pg

Thanks guys and no problem! I’m glad if the info is of use to someone.

And here’s a closer look on the “custom” steering wheel. :wink:

Attachments

very well done looks amazing