Roadside Dandelion Time-Lapse Animation

Here is a short dawn 'til dusk time-lapse animation of a road side Dandelion.

The excellent Dandelion model was created by Rico Cilliers & Rob Tuytel, available at: https://polyhaven.com/a/dandelion_01

I was quite happy with the outcome. Though I struggled to get a nice transition between the edge of the road surface and the kerb block. I wanted it to look more rough and organic. Adding any detail to the edge of the road didn’t match the road texture and looked messy, as well as being difficult to work with due to the detailed geometry for the road displacement effect. I guess if I was familiar with sculpting I could have done it that way. In the end I just decided to raise the kerb stones above the road surface rather than have a perfectly straight line where the kerb and road met, which looked bad.

2 Likes

though i’m sure there’s different standards wherever you go, the curbs/kerbs I see in the us have a ground flat portion as well:
(please excuse poor mouse drawing skills)
perhaps that would help with the kerb / road area? there’s often a crack between the two to allow for expansion/contraction of the road surface, as well as a convenient place for dandelions. :smiley:

very nice work!

2 Likes

Thanks, and thanks for the suggestion. Yes that could have been an option, I have seen that kind of curb layout in Europe.