RockIt! - Photoscanned rock pack!

Update:
Rockit has been released!
forest rocks7
It has 15 rocks so far and if there’s enough interest, I’m planning on updating it in the future with more rocks and improving the addon.
You can get it here:

Thanks a lot!

Hey guys!

recently I’ve been on the blender market and I’ve noticed that if you want to buy high-quality rock assets, you either have to shell out $400 for more than you know what to do with for the rock essentials or, you can buy single scanned rocks for $10 - $20 a pop. Neither of these is particularly ideal for a casual buyer as they both end up being very expensive.

So, I’ve decided to and do this myself, and make a pack of 15 - 20 high quality photoscanned rock assets for a decent price. And all optimised for Blender, of course.

Furthermore, I think I have managed to create a workflow that doesn’t just allow me to create assets of similar quality, but that in a lot of situations are better than those on the blender market currently:
Most photoscanned rocks you see look great, apart from one (excuse the pun) glaring hole.

The underside of the rock hasn’t been scanned and this really limits how the rock can be used. With this type of model, you need a large number of models to fill a scene without obvious repetition.
This is where my method comes in: Instead of scanning a rock that is firmly lodged in the ground, I find a rock that I can turn over so I can scan every face. This provides a highly detailed model with no visible seams, that can be viewed from any angle and then scaled up to any size:

With just one of these models, you can get the same amount of detail as 2 or 3 similar models created traditionally. Using this you can make entire scenes with just one rock:

They are also all retopologised with adjustable detail:

and baked normal maps:

I’m also hoping to have an addon for appending the models and tweaking the material, but I am very new to python, so it could take some time :upside_down_face:

So far I have made 5 models, but it won’t take me long to make more:

I would love to get some feedback/criticism/advice from people!
I’ve been working on this for quite a while so it would be good to know what people think :grinning:

6 Likes

Hi again, here is a scene I made using 5 of the rocks I’ve scanned so far:

the rocks used:

Feel free to ask any questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again,sorry for the wait, I’ve finished all of the rocks!

There are 15 in total and I think they cover quite a lot of different types while still being able to work together fairly well.

Now I need to work on the addon, but I’m a bit of a python noob so it could take a while :upside_down_face:

In the meantime though, here’s a (very) quick ArchViz render I made with them:

Update!

The addon is done! It’s pretty simple at the moment but adding more to it is a job for another day.
2020-03-15-21-50-17
I’m pretty happy with it so now all I need to do is get the blender market page up and running!

2 Likes

RockIt has been released!
forest rocks7
It has 15 rocks so far and if there’s enough interest, I’m planning on updating it in the future with more rocks and improving the addon.
You can get it here:

Thanks!

2 Likes