Rotate Bone Joint Hierarchy in Edit Mode (Like in Pose Mode)

Hi,

Is there a way to Rotate Bone Joint Hierarchy in Edit Mode (Like in Pose Mode)?
For some reason, they behave differently.

You can see an illustration below:

Unsolicted Rant: To be honest the whole bone thing in Blender is weird to me. Why can’t it just be a single point like in Houdini, Maya, C4D, Max (literally like everything else)?

Select the bones that you want to be affected. Shift select the root of that selection to make sure it’s the active selection. Set pivot point to active element and rotate.

I kinda agree that the way bones are lines is weird. But it’s also useful. If you’d like, you can just leave all bones unconnected and ignore the tails. The tails set local axes, are useful for constraints, and are for calculation of autoweights. Having adjustable tails can be nice for purposes of constraints and autoweights.

1 Like

If you want to rotate the top three bones around the first bone, select the circle (head) of the first bone then, shift s → cursor to selected, then transform pivot point menu → cursor, then select the top three and rotate.

@bandages @a59303

thanks for the response. it does work but too roundabout to go about it.
Forgive me for being demanding but I was hoping if there is an option that I’m missing out.
Like literally, rotate joines in edit mode like what is in pose mode.
Is there such an option?

Or I guess I should just edit in the “pose” mode then just apply it as rest pose. I guess that could work too.

RE: The tails set local axes, are useful for constraints
yep it does. but that’s what the actual axes is for. you don’t necessarily need tails. you just make the axis visible and set them where it points. and if you want to be specific, just use an aim constraint.

i do recognize that having a pose and edit mode as different modes is quite handy.

They’re very convenient. Bbones, stretch, orientation…

Yes, you should do that

1 Like

No, I know. They’re not technically necessary for axes. That’s why I didn’t say they were useful for that, just for autoweights and constraints.

Pose mode manipulation → apply as rest pose is fine, but what I described isn’t really difficult. I use both techniques. Getting used to pivot point hotkeys (alt . for active element), and shift [ add select parent hotkey, means that it’s not really any trouble. Hotkeyed lasso select might be important for finger bones. Of course, those hotkeys depend on initial interface choices and might differ; Blender’s 2.79 interface is just better, other than view operations, for which there was never any reason to differ from industry standard, they probably just didn’t know industry standard at that time.

1 Like