Rounded Rectangle and Extrusion???

Here’s something I can do easily in Photoshop and Illustrator with their 3D tools but I can’t seem to figure out in Blender.

What I want to do is to model a rectangle (actually a square) with uniform corner radii that I can specify, then extrude it a specified distance (that’s what I do in Photoshop and Illustrator - see example). Essentially I’m rounding the corners in just two dimensions. Then I want to add materials (e.g. clear glass) as I can with any other mesh.

There must be a way to do this and the simpler (for a noobie) the better. Thanks for any tips.

The simplest way is to do the extrude first then bevel the edges to give the round corners

That’s what I was going to say - the bevel modifier can be adjusted to give you a degree of curve on meshes…

OK, I must be missing something. Everything I’ve seen with bevel, shows chiseled out flat edges or vertices. Not at all smooth and rounded. I don’t see anything to specify the radius or roundness. I have seen somewhere using Bevel but the Recursion parameter was removed because of stability problems. And apparently problems with UV unwrapping???

In recent versions of Blender (by example the Blender 2.65 2nd release candidate from today or the buildbot ) the bevel recursions have been re-added as the Bevel overall have been improved a lot during the GSOC of this year.

So you can select the edges you want to round in Edit mode, press W -> Bevel (or CTRL+B to use it directly), move your mouse to increase/decrease the effect of the Bevel (or type a number if you need exact precision) and use the mousewheel to round it.

after adding bevel look into the tool panel there are some parameters there to play with

salutations

Thanks. I’m just using Blender from the download page and all that’s there is 2.64a. I’ll update to the links you provided (although I’ve always been nervous about anything other than General Release ;). Thanks!