RTX 3080 Ti to get 12 GB

I was gonna say… I never bought into the hype of speed. My issue was always the ram. I remember once upon a time ago having a laptop where 4096mb of ram was ““a lot”” and windows couldnt even use all of it. This was MANY years ago, before I got into 3D work. But, never the less, I wasn’t really building computers at the time and knew little about it. The 4096mb ram upgrade was available on the DELL website but I didn’t even know windows couldn’t even use all of it yet until it arrived and it said I had only 2gb installed. basically could only use a fraction of what was installed. Fun fun… Thankfully these days I can use 40/64gb in peace without batting an eye

Quadro cards are there for a reason.

Quadro RTX 8000 have 48GB, need more “NVLINK the circuits out of it” and you get 96GB of VRAM with two of them.

(Those times when you have more VRAM then System RAM…)

2 Likes

This is true and clearing all the overhead intended for gaming does typically give them a render speed boost, but I vaguely seem to recall finding a video comparing quadro 6k to a 1080ti once upon a time ago and quadro won in Maya but lost in blender performance. Also, in terms of render speed, there have already been benchmarks showing the 3090 has a 30% render speed leg up on the quadro 8000, likely due to the astronomical differences in cuda cores. 3090 sits with a 6000 core lead in that department so even with the optimization of quadro, 3090 still takes the lead in render speeds and in blender, at least for now, and is significantly less expensive than an 8000, but you ARE giving up 24gb of ram between the 2.

If I had the money I would really love to do benchmark comparisons between 2 3090s with nvlink and a quadro 8k so they match in ram, and do some blender and Arnold gpu benchmark comparisons on an equal vram playing field, because at MSRP, 2 3090s is still less expensive than 1 q8k and on paper should have more than 5 times the performance. Lord knows benchmarks lie so I am certainly curious what my own findings would show.

Found this. Looks like for cycles with RTX the 8k may take the win but for more than a handful of other real life use cases the 3090 comes in swinging averaging around 2.5 times the performance https://www.storagereview.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-vs-quadro-rtx-8000-creative-professional-review

If you compare same generation technology, things looks much more interesting :slight_smile:

a Quadro RTX 8000 “gen2” vs RTX 3090 would luckily be similar to this.

2 Likes

Quite possibly, which is why I am curious what my results would be. Different jobs, different needs. It seems like with a lot of the software I use, the 3090 was posting better performance. Like I said, I wish I had the money to throw down for two of each and just see how things pan out

But by the time you can afford Nvidia’s higher end Quadro cards, you can just get a 64 core threadripper CPU with 128 or even 256 gigabytes of RAM.

If you were lucky enough to get two RTX Quadro 8000 cards in a consumer machine though, why would you not use them if they end up having more memory than the rest of the system? However, RTX itself is evolving fast enough that Ampere will look outdated in a couple of years (because of rumors of Nvidia bringing in technology like acceleration for BVH building).

The issue isn’t that I don’t have the money, as I suspect isn’t the issue for a lot of people that are even considering production cards, for me the issue is that I don’t have the money to buy all 4 just for the sake of an experiment. And the thread ripper is already in the works in my new build. For my work, dual 1080tis have been enough to make me a full time income for 3+ years. The upgrades I want are a product of nvidia finally making more than a minor performance increase and consumer or non consumer pricing is of little concern to me. But I’m also not gonna be wasteful. I’m not gonna buy into price gouging and I am not gonna spend money on things I don’t need to feed my curiosity. At least not yet

Not at all. I rarely optimize anything. Why should I waste time if I can let a render node waste time on it?

1 Like

Here is (RTX 8000 x8) vs (RTX 3090 x8)

1 Like

It looks like with eight cards they are pretty closely matched by a matter of seconds. I think that if you are building a server, not a workstation, but a server, it makes more sense to go with Quatro cards, but realistically, between that and the other benchmarks I have seen, I think that for general use, the 3090 is a perfectly viable alternative that is less expensive and will get the job done almost as well if not better in many instances. My personal preference would be a workstation with dual 3090s and then a server with however many Quatros I could get my hands on

1 Like

Won’t it be cheaper to go with 2 RTX 3090 then a single Quadro A6000? you get more cores and just about the same amount of VRAM with NVLink.

I just found a local deal for a RTX 3090 for 1,900 USD I could buy a second one and NVLink them. Right now even with optimization hitting the 12GB VRAM limited with my current personal project.

Speaking of inadequate memory, apparently it is possible for a hardware-savvy person to mod a GPU so it has more VRAM.

So now the RTX 3070 in his possession has 16 gigabytes of memory, assuming Nvidia’s legal team does not respond by coming down on him like a ton of bricks. To actually add VRAM is something that is very rarely, if ever done, so Nvidia might not have a specific policy here.

1 Like

Very rare and most importantly very “dangerous”, one mistake and you can say goodbye to whichever GPU you were trying to mod.

A little off topic, would a 1000 Watt PSU be enough to run 2 RTX 3090?

If I recall correctly, an RTX 3090 eats up around 350-400W, so you should be able to eek by with a 1000W PSU.

1 Like

ahh okay I guess i’ll get a 1200 Watt just to be safe :smiley:

1 Like

1000W is not enough for Dual 3090. Please see this video https://youtu.be/i1dGQiNfCAc?t=433
1200W is cutting it close. Also what CPU are you running?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

I order a 1600 watt PSU for good measure.

1 Like

Have a big dream to buy a 3080 RTX series for video editing and gaming but to be honest I can’t afford it yet.

Well…
Single gtx 1080 :upside_down_face: