Running Blender (and GIMP) on Android!

Hey all! I thought you all might be interested. I’ve recorded some video demos showing running Blender on a Samsung Galaxy S9 Android. I did this perhaps 5 years ago but never bothered to share, and so I figured late is better than never :slight_smile:

You can very easily get a native Linux running on any Android device, and so by extension it is very easy to compile Blender (and other programs!) that support ARM.

Here’s the link:

And here’s a little screenshot of the Blender Android video, hosted on Peertube.

PNG

2 Likes

Hey this is really cool :slight_smile:

I’m running Blender 2.72b on KitKat Galaxy Tab 3 lite
8GB internal 1GB Ram
A little slow, but it worked fine for simple design.

STEP 1: Go to Google Play Store and install GNURoot Debian. You can download apk. Just make sure your internal memory free about 850MB to install.
STEP 2: Install Hacker’s Keyboard
STEP 3: Launch Virtual Machine (computer button)
STEP 4: Touch the 3 dots button and switch to Input Track pad mode.
STEP 5: Install blender by click the terminal and entering: apt-get install blender
STEP 6: entering: Y
STEP 7: When the terminal back to receive input state (install completed) click at the wall screen and select exit
STEP 8: Launch virtual machine then click main screen and go to App → Graphic → Blender
STEP 9: Wait until it display frame placing, just click and wait until it in.
If nothing happen after install blender and reboot the machine, or can’t boot the virtual machine, you can uninstall and install agian (sometimes got unknown error)

You can install inkscape by entering: apt-get install inkscape

That’s all well and good, but why would you want to run Blender on Android?

Chrome, maybe. On the Pixel notebooks. But Android? Whatever for?

Not saying it’s not cool. Just wondering why.

Unless I’m mistaken, the “S” series of phones can become a computer, by using the “DeX” dock! So, together with a phone, you get a full fledged Blender machine - an attractive proposition for quite a few people, I’d think! :slight_smile:

Can blender 2.8 run with this trick?
Iam getting the Xiaomi poco f1 with snapdragon 845 and 6gb ram
So Iam interesting how the performance will