RVK's and curves

Am I correct in assuming that there are no relative vertex keys for curves and curves can only use the absolute type? If they do exist where is the “relative” button for curves? I can’t seem to locate one.

Thanks in advance,
GreyBeard

It is my understanding that relative vertex keys indeed do not apply to things that don’t have vertices; namely, mathematical curves.

AFAIK, you are correct.

Martin

Thank you for your replies.

GreyBeard

Curves have Control Vertices nonetheless and you can do Vertex Keys with both Surface, Curves, Lattices, Metaballs.

Martin

Curves have Control Vertices nonetheless and you can do Vertex Keys with both Surface, Curves, Lattices, Metaballs.
Martin[/quote]
Why, one learns something new every day. :slight_smile: Can you kindly explain in more detail?

You create absolute vertex keys for curves the same way you do for meshes. Press “I” with the curve selected and the menu pops up with “curve” at the bottom instead of “mesh”. With the other types ie. mesh, lattice or surface there is a “relative” button in the edit buttons. This doesn’t exist for curves according to Teeth so you can only use absolute vertex keys for curves. I’m making a tutorial so I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. Teeth however also mentioned metaballs but I haven’t been able to do it. How would you access the verts to move them anyways?

GreyBeard

If you add more than one metaballs while still in edit mode, they are part of the same object and can be animated with vertex keys. In their case, the “vertex” is the control ring for each meta element.

Martin

Teeth,

How do you add the base key? When I press the “i” key there is no option to do this (3 metaballs, one object). Teeth are you perhaps thinking about metaballs dupliverted to a mesh and then using vertex keys on the mesh?

GreyBeard

Argh. You’re right, the option isn’t there (anymore. I’m pretty sure it was there in the old days).

Martin
PS: and it’s “theeth” with the extra “h”. :wink:

PS: and it’s “theeth” with the extra “h”

OOPS!!! I apologise. I have been reading your nick without the “h” for as long as I’ve been on the forum. Funny how the mind plays tricks on you.

GreyBeard