Sad news, with a very tiny violin

I have quit game developing, i am no longer a game developer, i have deleated my unreal engine epic account on Thursday night, i have to wait 14 days as it say, but i still love Blender, as i can never able get 12 grand loan too succeed, between me and financial companies feelings are mutual, i got not much respect for them.

If you want a 12K loan for a game project, you should have several things in place:

• A playable demo, as proof of concept
  • an organized development studio, at least an LLC, to show your commitment to the project
  • timelines for project completion, market research, revenue and sales estimates, plans for marketing and distributing, all written out, all very detailed

You also need to demonstrate that your project has value. One of the best ways to do this is with social proof. Get people interested in it, get a playable demo out there, start conversations on Reddit and Twitter and gaming forums. Get gaming YouTubers that cover indie games on board. See if you can get any game journalists to report on development.

I think there’s no need to give up just yet, after all, thousands of indie games are made and released every year. Get these things in order, get a nice organized folio detailing all this, incorporate yourself as an LLC, and go back to your bank with a new suit and a confident attitude :slight_smile:

You may also need to adjust your expectations. 12K is a lot of money. Find the bare minimum amount you need and ask for that first. Once you’ve proven the value of your project, you can start to ask for more. Bear in mind though that everything you borrow, you pay back with interest. Can you make a game that can earn 12K in revenue? Your bank thinks you can’t, and honestly, most indie games don’t. Can you make a game that can make 1K in revenue? Probably, and even if your game flops financially, it’s a lot easier to pay back 1K than 12K.

There’s nothing wrong with taking loans out to finance a passion project, but you always need to carefully consider how much debt you’re going into and if it’s actually worth it. Generally speaking, it’s a lot safer to fund passion projects with your own money. Is it worth potentially hurting your credit and quality of life to release a game?

Also, again, 12K is a lot of money. You really don’t need that much to make a game. If you have big bold plans, start by (incorporating as a studio) and making some small, free, indie games. Show the bank that you have what it takes to make games people like. Then, you can make your big giant game :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m assuming you applied for a epic mega grant. Did you read through the requirements for getting one? They’re pretty strict and not something you should compare yourself to in terms of motivation. Even professionals get turned away time and again because they don’t reach maybe one requirement out of all listed.

On a side note, shouldn’t this thread be in Game Engine Support and Discussion?

1 Like

Something like this,

Dont worry im not exactly quitting, only delete epic account now so i dont have to bother, until a much latter date, when my mum passes away. she is 89 years old, so she might live to 100, then with my share of my inheritance i should then be able to spend 12 grand on build without any hindrance by the 20 gen intel cpu and NVidia RTX 9090TI, and DDR5 Awesome.

Instead of waiting for your inheritance, why not get your ducks in a row as I’ve outlined in my reply and try again now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

What needs to be noted, Epic Games is a for-profit company and not a charity. They reserve the right to accept and reject grant applications depending on how much promise the title holds. By the sound of it you did not actually have anything put down in terms of content, most investors are not going to just jump in and take a risk like that.

In addition, it is actually possible to get started now with Unreal, Godot, or UPBGE without spending any money. Godot for instance does not even require that great of a PC to run if you use the GLES2 renderer.

2 Likes

Hoping for death in the family to get cash for your project is one of the most caustic things a budding creator could possibly say. It can give the impression that you don’t actually love your family members and only see them as a potential ATM. If she actually knows you want her inheritance as soon as possible, then an apology should be in order.

Also, the post could indicate a bit of what’s known as the delusion of grandeur, are you really this confident that your inheritance will actually pay out that much? Before starting a game at all you need to set realistic expectations, because trying to make the next Fortnite as a first title will only lead to you crashing and burning mentally, there is a reason why most devs. will start with something simple as their learning project.

2 Likes