Sailboat

My first post here. Criticism is welcome.

4 Likes

As a first job I would say that you are very good, now a bit 'of criticism, the boat model is nice, probably overall geometry has low poly count and is visible in your rendering , and the pier look seem fake for less variations add some grunge texture, the water are very fake the sea is too rough.

thanks. how can I improve the sea?

Now I not have much time to search a right tutorials, but try to follow these videos below…

and this

an other

Blender
manual
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/modifiers/simulate/ocean.html

2 Likes

And this is a nice discussion about ocean…

1 Like

Has a nice feel to it, but I agree with the comment about the yacht’s hull being too low-poly from some angles.

I’d suggest finding some free yacht plans online, and building the hull mesh over that to get a feel for yacht shapes. If you put “yacht lines plans” into DuckDuckGo it returns some useful results.

On a real yacht with wooden spars the the boom would be tapered towards the ends. Somewhere around 75% of maximum diameter would be a good place to start. If you’re keen, it should also be possible to find plans for wooden spars online.

I don’t understand what is the problem. I actually made it acording to plans.
side:

front:

ortho:

2 Likes

Bravo, good job I did not imagine you based the hull on linesplan.

How did you drape the sails? Was it manually modelled, or did you use a cloth sim?

I used cloth sim.
Made some empty objects and animated them going down the mast(for the main sail) and the forestay( for jib), and pinned corresponding sail vertices to those objects.

1 Like

The problems are shown by the red arrows.

Problems

The small scale plans may have lumps in them, which happens sometimes, but your mesh definitely has lumps in it. Yacht hulls are just not shaped like that. They were always faired with battens on the lofting floor. All curves will be, in old boatbuilders’ terms, “fair and eye-sweet”.

Take a look at the shots in this gallery. It’s not the same yacht, but it’s of the same period: William Fife III 59 ft Gaff Cutter ‘Sayonara’

These two are good examples of the curve along the edge of the deck (the “sheer”, in nautical terms). Notice that there are no lumps. It’s a smooth curve all the way.

2 Likes

I have fixed the lumps and made it a smooth curve now

2 Likes

That’s much better than before. Although, to a boatbuilder’s eye it is still noticeable, but boatbuilders are evil and most people won’t notice. :wink:

Were you using a shiny matcap to smooth it? They really highlight any lumps.

1 Like

Thanks. Haven’t thought of the shiny matcap, I will give it a try.

If you’re still into taking this further, you can get a larger scale drawing of the NY 30. I assume you were using the 600x423 from Wiki Commons. There are several better detail drawings kicking around the web, including a 1000px sail plan/profile and a 3000px PDF of the construction (with some cross sections).

I admire the attention to detail you put into this project, and I like the composition and render a lot!

If you are ever of the mind to revisit this piece, two things you might - or might not, as you will know best in the end - want to experiment with are the lighting and the water.

The water has a nice sense of motion to it, but there may be an opportunity here to add some details to the water without creating too choppy a look.

The other possible thing is perhaps the lighting. This seems like a somewhat serene scene, which I appreciate, and I (subjectively) think a slightly gentler distribution of light, along with some subtle increase in contrast closer to the camera/viewer, might help support that even more.

I prepared an example based on these suggestions, and I encourage you to disagree or disregard with these entirely.

What you already have is very nice, and I applaud your efforts!

Best wishes on your future Blender projects!

RobertT

Thanks,
I plan on revisiting it in the future, and the sea was in my list of things to improve.
I will look more into lighting and see what works best.

If you decide to revisit it, or do something similar, I may be able to help you out with the hull mesh if you would like that. I’ve also found a copy of the original spar plans for that boat (it’s a Herreshoff NY 30) so the tapers are on record for those.