Salt Flats dust

Greeting everyone

I’ve stumbled a little something that I can’t quite figure out how I’ll be able to do.:confused:

I would like to know if it is possible to make a sand trail behind a object to give the effect of loose sand being kicked up as the object moves over a surface. I have a scene where a car is driving over a salt flat, and I would like the tyres to kick up sand as the car is driving. The animation is quite long, I don’t mind long renders, I need the effect for the animation, and for the sake of realism. :slight_smile:

Here is a screenshot of the effect that I’mm looking for. I’m currently using Blender 2.49b and rendering in yafaray. Would this effect be possible, and how would I go about getting the best looking result?

And also a base scene screenshot.

Regards

Attachments

this is how I would do it. i used particles to act as kicked up sand.
your using 2.49 so im not sure itl work tho

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Attachments

particle car.blend (890 KB)

Thanks for the help I’ll check it out. :slight_smile:

Well I’m considering on moving over to 2.57b for the effect reasons, however I’m quite worried over the way blender 3D 2.57b will render the scene and the way yafaray will. So I dunno if the move will be worth it or not.

parent a particle emmitor to the car, and give the particles only a slight random value. you want them to pretty much stay in place once they have been emmited. you’ll need to adjust the halo settings ( size, alpha, hardness ) in materials, as well as the ammount of particles a bit, for fine tuning.