Featured Row Thumbnail:
This work depicts two of the heroes from the game Skies of Arcadia, an RPG released 22 years ago on the Sega Dreamcast, anachronistically playing Samba de Amigo, another Dreamcast game, using its unique motion-sensed maraca controllers. The background “paintings” are actually experimental, incomplete, or otherwise WIP renders I’ve made before, as a sort of collection of my fanart within a fanart. The head and body models were somewhat finalized before work began, which saved time.
This was created in two weeks for a Skies of Arcadia fanart anthology and booklet to be presented and distributed at Comic Market 101 in Japan in late December, 2022. More information about the anthology can be found here: https://ea20th.com/20th-anthology/. I had been planning this scene and improving older models before I realized the anthology existed, and did not have a lot of time left to do what I originally intended, but I adapted everything accordingly while working on it. It ended up being much more dynamically posed though, so it worked out better, maybe, haha.
I’ve been working on an over-arching Skies or Arcadia fanart project for about year+. My goals have been as such, in order of priority:
- Attempt to modernize the characters in a pleasing stylized manner that satisfies my imagination, fans, and the original devs.
- Create storytelling scenes with said character models, either in-universe or anachronistic.
- Get better at Blender and the workflow of character/environmental work.
- Become a reliable 3D generalist artist worth hiring on projects either related or unrelated to Skies of Arcadia.
- Create game-ready models for implementation in some kind of game demo in Unity, utilizing my past experience with hobbyist game dev. Just an idea for now. I’m purely focussed on visualization and getting the moderinized characters to a good state.
Anyway, I appreciate being featured! I hope to create even more things in Blender, which I enjoy greatly!