San Francisco Apartment

Personal project for portfolio. Visualization of Eric Wang’s apartment - a blogger from San Francisco who has conveniently made a lot of videos of his apartment. But he is a bit unlucky with the view from the window. :grinning:

67 Likes

Seems you worked plenty on this project… Well done!

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, it took me about 2 months, but I also was doing other stuff simultaneously.

Really very nice stuff! Well done!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Bart!

1 Like

A multifactorial Wow. And suspended thoughts, moderately existential.
Beautiful set, to speak simply.

2 Likes

this is too pleasing to the eye, very cool :raised_hands:

1 Like

I normally don’t particularly love arch renders, as some can look so sterile. This feels warm, and like a real space of someone’s home. Nicely done.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, archviz renders are usually sterile, that’s what clients want. I don’t like such look either.

2 Likes

Yea, you just won archviz. Great materials. Could benefit from a little denoising, or perhaps the noise is intentional and added in post ? anyway, real nice.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, noise is intentional and added in photoshop. Completely denoised renders looked a bit boring in my opinion.

1 Like

I see, I figured so. Yes, it does add something. What’s the renderer ? Cycles ?

Very nice work!
May I give a few suggestions for a more professional result?

If yes
    • Why so much chromatic aberration? It is annoying and screams “CG”. It also should be visible only peripherally, not uniformly everywhere.
    • Keep vertical lines straight! You can break this rule for top down shots, otherwise keep the camera at 90° on X axis and do Shift lenses if needed.
    • Last but not least, when making flythroughs, try to keep the camera movement consistent in speed, and avoid as hell the start and stop (fade in fade out) interpolation in the camera keyframes.

This is a constructive critique, everything else looks awesome.

btw, cool trick on the mirror :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, Cycles.

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it.
I think I even considered most of the factors you mentioned, but still decided to experiment a little. I don’t make scenes and videos like this very often and haven’t learned all the rules yet.
I’ve tried a lot of different renders, with different lighting and color schemes. Final variant is what I liked the most. Every other option lacked something in my opinion.

Great work! I have done a little archviz animation here and there, very challenging and memory taxing! I love a lot of things of your animation, I like how the parallax effect on the image on the exterior makes it almost feel like the buildings are 3D, nice lighting tricks, the mirror effect was pretty nice! i was not expecting that haha how did you pull that off? did you flip the camera as soon as you got too close to make it feel like a continuous shot? very nice! The only critique that comes to mind is the speed of the camera on some large shots, it feels a little rushed, Though if this is a practice project I could understand rushing it a little since scenes like this take years to render even with less than 5 min frame time. Also I notice you have big windows which helps with lighting and noise but still, I usually find it a difficult thing to get rid of, so very nice work on that too, I don´t see noticeable noise variations on frames due to denoise, how many samples did you use if If you can share? Again, Great work!
Jc.

1 Like

Thank you!

I flipped the camera before the mirror on the X axis, so in this moment the whole room is actually flipped, and after the camera “enters” the mirror I flipped it again and rotated 180 degrees. (But it was a bit more complicated in the reality).

I agree that some shots are rushed, but it took me many attempts to do each segment of the video, so in some cases I just “gave up” because it took A LOT OF TIME to edit the whole animation. I spent something like 30-40 hours just on rendering the final variant.

For the animation I used on average 200 samples + OID. I also used AI interpolation to double the framerate of the video - it helped to reduce some artifacts. And I made some tweaks, like sharpness and color correction, in DaVinci Resolve.

2 Likes

Of course, feel free to experiment for your projects. I only made suggestions from a professional point of view, since I do those kins of animations for a job, and those “rules” are quite common and usually expected from clients.
Regarding rendertimes (what are your pc specs?) I rely on a workflow that gives me good results and flicker free animations without sacrificing much.
In a nut shell it involves rendering three sets of renders (full render, diffDir+diffInd, diffCol) deflicker the diffuse video with Avisynth/Vapoursynth, and combining them all into blender VSE.
One day I should post a tutorial of the whole process on BA.

1 Like