Santiago de compostela cathedral for personal blog



Started this cathedral from the Cube (usually this is how I start) back in December 2025 in 4.5LTS and been working on it basically each weekend, mostly afternoon late till in the morning. So maybe 4-6 hours per weekend. Now with Christmas and Easter break from work I got to finally finish it.
It is the most detailed and longest project I did for my travel photography blog.

I used a MacBook Pro with 24 GB of RAM that half way through (this) project I got 2-3 GB constantly on the swap memory. So I sold it and got a 64GB model since… well ram prices got super crazy lately, then war and who knows what comes next… Total amount of RAM in use during render is 41-44GB - GPU+CPU both used to render. In wireframe mode it is super slow to work so usually I isolate or make a new file for each object.

I used no textures (just Diffuse color) and each object is separately modelled in Low Poly fashion (in some places I got too much in detail and it can hardly be seen unless I zoom in).

I used personal images from the trip to Santiago de Compostela, however the one that I used as reference is from Wikipedia ( I think is the most high resolution image that has this side of the cathedral, maybe done with a drone?).

Hope you like it.

9 Likes

man what great dedication on this project, I think the next time with a project like this you can start using the link files to implement in your workflow the handle of bigs scenes of this nature, will help you to work more modular withouth put at limit the machine.
Congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

I will look into what you said. But now I like that I don’t have to worry much about damaging my laptop internal ssd even if cremate drops to sub 10fps.
Yeah I doubt I will do this kind of stuff again. I kinda hated the project in January when I got stuck and most of the work (2/3rds) was done in March and this Easter break.

1 Like

I understand, like you, I preffer handle small projects to still practice for the same reason that not put at the limit the machine. Also because I’m in another projects that give me food.
I hope you recovery the energy and motivation to start another project not than ambisius but allow you keep motivated :smiley:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like