Sawed-off Shotgun

First project i did after a 2 year break from 3D modelling. DId this in 2 days and most was moddelling with clean topology. Used only Blender and Substance Painter.

2 Likes

This is pretty good!

I see a problem though. The metal parts have stripy ring patterns in them:
metal_rings

This tells me you probably used a bump map and some areas of it have smooth gradients. This is a problem, because the black and white image of a bump map contains a limited number of possible brightness levels, so the gradient has banding in it, resulting in a stair pattern in the bump.

That can be improved in a few different ways:

• Use a normal map instead of bump. Normal maps store angle information instead of height, so they are better for smooth gradients.

• If you use bump, use a 16 or 32 bit image. This adds more levels of brightness to the image, allowing smoother gradients.

• Set the texture’s filter to cubic. On the image texture node in the material editor, you will see a spot that reads “linear”. If you choose the “cubic” option, you get a higher quality and the texture will look a bit smoother.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I agree with those ugly strips. I used 8bit images and normal map with height one, so I guess that’s because of that.

1 Like