Scaling Environment Textures

Is it possible to scale the environment textures. I tried now the whole day, searched on Google and this forum and didn’t find anything.

What I’ve done:

1.) Opened an environment texture
2.) inserted a Texture Coordinate node
3.) Inserted a Mapping node between the Texture Coordinate and the Environment Texture node

The rotation works fine but the scaling doesn’t. In the first image the scaling is x=1 y=1 z=1 (node standard).

In the second picture the scaling is x=5 y=5 z=5 and the environment texture stays at the same size.

I can’t see a difference.

When I just change one of the x,y,z values the image is distorted.

Tips or links to a solution are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You have to give it generated texture coordinates for some reason… This will work!

You can’t see it good in my screenshots but i did it like your suggestion. Rotation works but the scaling doesn’t. When I scale it with only x, y or z the environment texture is distorted and when I scale all 3 (x, y and z) the texture has the same size.

Thanks for your response.

You can’t see it good in my screenshots but i did it like your suggestion. Rotation works but the scaling doesn’t. When I scale it with only x, y or z the environment texture is distorted and when I scale all 3 (x, y and z) the texture has the same size.

Hmm… why would you even want to scale the env map? I don’t think this makes sense for the renderengine, if you get what i mean.

I need to scale the environment texture, because sometimes it’s too big. I used a city map for a building and my modeled building looked like a toy. When I scaled the building I had to change the camera’s focal length and the background didn’t fit anyway.

Or in the picture above I had another texture before and the cars looked like toys again.

I now have a camera with a focal length of 28mm (pic above). If I use the standard 35mm the background is zoomed in more so the buildings are bigger but I want them smaller (farer away). When I zoom out (make the focal length smaller - 20 or less) it distorts again.

I need to scale the environment texture, because sometimes it’s too big. I used a city map for a building and my modeled building looked like a toy. When I scaled the building I had to change the camera’s focal length and the background didn’t fit anyway.

Ok i see. From my understanding, scaling an env map in all axes won’t change anything (because the background is infinitely far away).
Have you tried modelling with 1 blender unit = 1 meter?
Besides Depth of Field have a huge impact on percieved scale.

Are you confusing the “background Image” with the “environment texture” ?
Try using a background Image, you can scale, crop, move it around.

But I don’t want a background image. The background image is just on a plane big enough to cover the camera borders. When I now move the camera, the background image is either out of the camera borders, or when I move it with the camera always the same. And for an animation it doesn’t look right when the background isn’t moving or moves with the camera.

In the environment textures I can move around and the background moves perfectly too. But when I now move further to or farther away from an object the background doesn’t “zoom”. The model gets smaller or bigger but the background stays. Again bad for animations. Or even on no animation objects look like toys because the background is to big.